Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not one of the Fortnite World Cup's 100 finalists was a woman. Why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not one of the Fortnite World Cup's 100 finalists was a woman. Why?

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rts-pro-sexism

    Not one of the Fortnite World Cup's 100 finalists was a woman. Why?

    This weekend the best Fortnite players in the world gathered at Flushing Meadows in New York to compete in the game’s first ever World Cup Finals for $30m (£24m) in prize money. Tens of thousands of spectators packed the famed Arthur Ashe stadium to watch the action live, and many millions more viewed on Twitch and YouTube. Fortnite is, after all, one of the biggest entertainment brands on the planet, played by hundreds of millions. Amid all the hype and fanfare around the finals, however, one depressing fact remained unavoidable: not a single one of the 100 finalists was female.

    Despite the growing popularity of professional gaming throughout the world – the audience figures for competitive gaming have reached 450m this year – female competitors remain scarce. There certainly are high-profile examples of female pros – trans woman Sasha “Scarlett” Hostyn is one of the most successful Starcraft II players in the world; Katherine “Mystik” Gunn is the industry’s highest-paid female pro gamer and won the SyFy channel’s reality TV show WCG Ultimate Gamer; and Fortnite has stars such as One_Shot_Gurl and Loeya. But you could watch a year of big tournaments, whether it’s Call of Duty, League of Legends or Hearthstone, and count the number of female competitors on the fingers of one hand.
    Pete (notes that female participation is way up in both board and video gaming but for now the top echelons are still dominated by men)

  • #2
    Men evolved to be better at video games. Even the highest-earning female player was born male.
    DEEZ NUTS FOR PRESIDENT!!

    Comment


    • #3
      It is more socially acceptable for men to game than women at a young age, and there is more social pressure to do so. It is slowly changing, but these things take time, and the top echelon is typically mostly populated by people who got into the activity at a very young age.
      They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
      -Mr. Raceboy

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jesse View Post
        Men evolved to be better at video games. Even the highest-earning female player was born male.
        Exactly, the highest earning female player is transgender. Men are wired to be better at spatial processing and hand eye coordination. I thought this was pretty well scientifically accepted at this point or is this now verboten by the PC police as well?

        Steve (just has to laugh at the feminist war with transgenders as men can now dominate female sports and the left has locked themselves in to utter bullshit)
        Last edited by Mr. Raceboy; 07-31-2019, 07:05 PM.
        "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

        Comment


        • #5
          It's more that the science you're referring to has been discredited as based on poorly performed experiments rife with bias.
          They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
          -Mr. Raceboy

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jester View Post
            It's more that the science you're referring to has been discredited as based on poorly performed experiments rife with bias.
            Has it? When I look it up I don't see anything about it being discredited. It looks like it's pretty well accepted.
            "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

            Comment


            • #7
              Maybe girls just don't like first or third person shooters as much? So what? My girls love geeking out on Roblox and the mods like Horse World. Is one necessarily better than the other?

              The bigger question is why is Fortnight so popular? I blame it on dumbass 12 year olds who don't know any better. Its gameplay is primitive, simplistic, and the graphics are laughably cartoonish. Twenty years ago, Tribes and Unreal Tournament looked better and had more compelling gameplay than this dreck.
              "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by skooly View Post
                Maybe girls just don't like first or third person shooters as much? So what? My girls love geeking out on Roblox and the mods like Horse World. Is one necessarily better than the other?

                The bigger question is why is Fortnight so popular? I blame it on dumbass 12 year olds who don't know any better. Its gameplay is primitive, simplistic, and the graphics are laughably cartoonish. Twenty years ago, Tribes and Unreal Tournament looked better and had more compelling gameplay than this dreck.
                Maybe people are just getting dumber?
                "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post

                  Has it? When I look it up I don't see anything about it being discredited. It looks like it's pretty well accepted.
                  Yeah, my bad -- the thing I was thinking of is that women are faster at completing tasks; you're right.
                  They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                  -Mr. Raceboy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jester View Post

                    Yeah, my bad -- the thing I was thinking of is that women are faster at completing tasks; you're right.
                    My wife is 100% scientific proof women are not faster at completing tasks! LMFAO

                    Steve (swears to god his wife moves in slow motion sometimes)
                    Last edited by Mr. Raceboy; 07-31-2019, 08:54 PM.
                    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post

                      My wife is 100% scientific proof women are not faster at completing tasks! LMFAO

                      Steve (swears to god his wife moves in slow motion sometimes)
                      I can't argue with you there. I've actually had to chivvy my wife along to get her to finish spooning food onto her plate while the kids are waiting.
                      They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
                      -Mr. Raceboy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                        Men evolved to be better at video games.


                        skooly (grunts)
                        "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jester View Post

                          I can't argue with you there. I've actually had to chivvy my wife along to get her to finish spooning food onto her plate while the kids are waiting.
                          That sounds pretty familiar.
                          "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X