No announcement yet.

My (*%&^ new Dell XPS 13 9370 has the battery die after 3 months of ownership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My (*%&^ new Dell XPS 13 9370 has the battery die after 3 months of ownership

This is a work computer, but I'm fueding with our incompetent IT department, so I'm dealing with this on my own. So far, I've done the following:
    1. call Dell and confirm the issue, they will fix under warranty, but I have to mail the computer to them, which they will have for 10-12 business days and have to wipe the hard drive (which I plan to do anyway because it is a work computer).
    2. backed up my documents folder and desktop to my work server.
    3. used the baked in windows 10 software (legacy windows 7 settings) to create a disk image on an external hard drive.
    4. create a recovery drive on a USB thumb drive (windows 10 settings).

My question: Am I good to wipe this computer's hard drive, or should I do more?

Also, thoughts on how best/easiest/most secure option for wiping the hard drive? I know how to zero out the drive on a Mac, but this is new territory with a PC.

Thanks!
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

My recollection is that most Dell computers come with a partition on the hard drive that has utilities including a factory reset that will wipe the main partition and reinstall the base software. It's usually accessible from the boot menu, which requires one of the F1, F2, F12, or DELETE keys to reach (F12 being the most common).

If you're dealing with it yourself, why not just buy and install a new battery. It's a pretty simple operation, requiring only the removal of the back panel and a few screws. If it's not a leased machine, I'd just do it and charge the battery to the company.

Pete (thinks wiping the drive just to change the battery is lunacy)

Comment

it is lunacy, it is also a warranty issue, and I'm worried that the problem runs deeper than the battery and I want this all documented.
      They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
      -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Iíve never trusted disc image backups to backup and reinstall all your data and apps correctly. I would do it the old school way of backing up all the data manually and then reinstalling all your apps. You know that method will work. With a USB 2.0 or higher external HD, it wonít take long at all. That being said, I would first overnight a new battery like Pete suggested before you return the entire computer. Thatís like trading in your car because your battery died! Let us know what happens.
        "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Itís wiped and in fedexís hands.

if this was my personal computer, Iíd be demanding a full refund and walking away in disgust.
          -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!! I'm a goddamn idiot!!!!!!
            I made a fucking disk image. Then I condensed partitions on the hard drive (which preserves the data existing on the hard drive), then I made a boot recovery disk... on the WRONG FUCKING PARTITION!!!!!.

My disk image is gone. Meanwhile, the laptop is wiped and in the mail to Dell.

At least all my document files are backed up, but I spent fucking weeks putting software onto that computer and personalizing it. FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.
            -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

I'm not going to say it.

Pete (did, though)

Comment

See? Don't do disc images!
                "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Comment

Working...
                X