No announcement yet.

Tesla Model X was in autopilot before fatal crash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand why anyone would trust these systems. I don't know how the Tesla system works, but in an airplane, autopilot systems have to have a dedicated circuit breaker. If it runs away, you can always pull the breaker and kill the system. These systems need that kind of absolute override and drivers must pay full attention while using them. Autopilots exist in airplanes because the workload is high when flying in IMC. It takes a bit of the workload off of the pilot, but the pilot still has to monitor the instruments to make sure the autopilot isn't going to do something bad.
    I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Federal investigators said Sunday they were “unhappy” that Tesla had released information related to a fatal crash involving one of its Model X vehicles late last month.

Tesla announced late Friday that the Tesla Model X had its semiautonomous “Autopilot” mode activated moments before it slammed into a highway barrier on U.S. 101 in California on March 23, killing driver Walter Huang, 38.
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.70f03a218db5

Comment

Natural selection. (So long as it only kills the driver)
        They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
        -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

MOUNTAIN VIEW (KPIX 5) — New video shows Tesla’s autopilot feature failing at the same location where a Tesla driver crashed and died just a couple weeks ago in Mountain View.
          http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...ng-on-hwy-101/

Comment

Tuesday night, Tesla released its strongest statement yet blaming the driver, Walter Huang, for what happened.
            Tesla sent Dan Noyes a statement Tuesday night that reads in part, "Autopilot requires the driver to be alert and have hands on the wheel... the crash happened on a clear day with several hundred feet of visibility ahead, which means that the only way for this accident to have occurred is if Mr. Huang was not paying attention to the road."
            http://abc7chicago.com/automotive/te...crash/3328051/

Comment

Maybe he shouldn't have called it "Autopilot."

Pete (isn't liking his chances with that argument)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
                Maybe he shouldn't have called it "Autopilot."

Pete (isn't liking his chances with that argument)
                Mr Huang was probably staring at his phone on his “unlimited” plan...
                Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy
                I'm a lot more worried about the commies running DC than I am about commies half way around the world.

Comment

I saw at least 5 Tesla's in the last 2 days.

Comment

so what exactly is the point of having a self-driving car, if you have to be ready to instantly take control at all times? I might as well just drive the car.
                    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Jared View Post
                      so what exactly is the point of having a self-driving car, if you have to be ready to instantly take control at all times? I might as well just drive the car.
                      Lawyers.

Musk wanted a real autopilot but the lawyers told him "um, no."

Comment

Originally posted by Just Jon View Post
                        Lawyers.

Musk wanted a real autopilot but the lawyers told him "um, no."
                        thereby defeating the purpose. If I have an autopilot that actually works, I'm sitting in the back seat and taking a nap.
                        "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

Exactly what I've said before.

Comment

thereby defeating the purpose. If I have an autopilot that actually works, I'm sitting in the back seat and taking a nap.
                            The thing is, the Tesla "autopilot" isn't really an autopilot. The name is a typical marketing ploy that pretends the car can do something it really can't do, as evidenced by this crash.

Comment

Which is why I've never understood cruise control...

Pete (has never seen the point of it since he can maintain speed just fine on his own)

Comment

Cruise control is for people who are hyper-miling their gas mileage. You might squeeze an extra mile per gallon.

Comment

Working...
                                X