Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI Mid Engine C8 Corvette Live Reveal Tonight 10:50 PM EST

https://media.chevrolet.com/nextgenCorvette
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

WOW!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...e-photos-info/

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-vehicles/next-generation-corvette

Full pricing wasn't announced, but starting under $60K is an incredible accomplishment. I have to believe Chevy loses money on this car and it's strictly a halo vehicle. Even the base model will still have the same 495 hp LT2 engine and 8 speed DCT transmission. My guess is that for a nicely optioned Z51 package care (track package), you would still be looking at under $80K. And of course, this is just the start. Higher performance versions will be coming. The current ZR1 has 755 hp so the future is looking pretty good. I really really hope this car has no major issues.

One ingenious feature was a GPS linked front axle lift system that can memorize up to a thousand points where you want to lift the front of the car. Why has no one thought of this before?

This really makes me rethink wanting the new Boxster Spyder.
    Last edited by Mr. Raceboy; 07-18-2019, 11:14 PM.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Wish it had a manual. Will likely buy one in a few years, wonít ever buy a first year model again. I also wonít trust the LT2 knowing the C7 engine has over heating issue on the track until I read it's bulletproof. First time ever considered buying American.

If youíre looking at GT4 or the Spyder variant, you canít go wrong with that.

Dan (really doesnít need another car)
      HFM

As long as there exists people with religion and a belief in God, there will never be a Libertarian state.

Comment

Originally posted by hfm View Post
        Wish it had a manual. Will likely buy one in a few years, wonít ever buy a first year model again. I also wonít trust the LT2 knowing the C7 engine has over heating issue on the track until I read it's bulletproof. First time ever considered buying American.

If youíre looking at GT4 or the Spyder variant, you canít go wrong with that.

Dan (really doesnít need another car)
        It's funny Dan, because I don't miss the manual transmission like so many people do. There's simply no way to get the system and chassis integration with a manual transmission like you do in a modern DCT. The way modern electronic differentials work, the transmission has to work in harmony with the diff. Further, you completely change the ability to package the car without having to have clutch and shift linkages. Lastly, a car like the Vette that aspires to be the attainable exotic, but will probably need to be actual transportation to the average buyer, is made infinitely more usable by the automatic transmission.

For me, with my bike, I get all the nostalgia I need along with that real mechanical machine interaction on 2 wheels so my position on what makes an ideal car has shifted. Age has also played a role! LOL I could see driving that Vette every day. GM was smart to not go with a tub type chassis, sacrificing probably a little stiffness, but making ingress and egress easy enough for non-gymnasts and vastly adding to the daily driver usability of the car.

Dan, go take the MSF bike course. A guy like you that seems to really appreciate machines like I do would probably love it and it's funny how all cars seem bland after riding bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post

It's funny Dan, because I don't miss the manual transmission like so many people do. There's simply no way to get the system and chassis integration with a manual transmission like you do in a modern DCT. The way modern electronic differentials work, the transmission has to work in harmony with the diff. Further, you completely change the ability to package the car without having to have clutch and shift linkages. Lastly, a car like the Vette that aspires to be the attainable exotic, but will probably need to be actual transportation to the average buyer, is made infinitely more usable by the automatic transmission.

For me, with my bike, I get all the nostalgia I need along with that real mechanical machine interaction on 2 wheels so my position on what makes an ideal car has shifted. Age has also played a role! LOL I could see driving that Vette every day. GM was smart to not go with a tub type chassis, sacrificing probably a little stiffness, but making ingress and egress easy enough for non-gymnasts and vastly adding to the daily driver usability of the car.

Dan, go take the MSF bike course. A guy like you that seems to really appreciate machines like I do would probably love it and it's funny how all cars seem bland after riding bikes.
          Steve, your unfortunate foot injury has changed your perspective. I love the PDK on my GT3 but, I think about adding a manual transmission GT3 or a GT4 to my garage frequently because I don't need every last tenth of a second and sometimes just want to drive canyons on the weekend as opposing to driving in traffic to court or a deposition during the weekday.

One thing for sure, if this C8 can turn instead of just straight line, if the dry sump resolves overheating issues the LT1s were prone to have on the track, this car is a total game changer. We're talking GT3RS, possibly GT2RS performance numbers for the base model and, we're not even in the Z series yet. It will make anyone looking to buy a 718 GT, 992 and probably even a 992 GT, or R8 buyer reconsider a C8. And, as for the Supra, Z4 or M2 in the same price range they aren't close to competing. It's like GM is selling a GT car for a third the price. If I were Porsche executives, I'd be looking at this very closely and not just write this off as "it's just a Chevy" because this car will likely change the sports car industry for the next 5-10 years.

https://rennlist.com/forums/other-ma...-corvette.html
          HFM

As long as there exists people with religion and a belief in God, there will never be a Libertarian state.

Comment

I'll be trading in my C6 in a year or two for a gently used C7 once the prices drop more.

Stephen (is hoping to get into a 2017 Z06)

Comment

Originally posted by cart213 View Post
              I'll be trading in my C6 in a year or two for a gently used C7 once the prices drop more.

Stephen (is hoping to get into a 2017 Z06)
              The prices of C7s will crater the moment sales of the C8 start later this year. Once people realize that there is no need to pay an ADM on a high volume car and insist on paying MSRP or less, the C7 prices should be at a bottom, maybe early next year.

I'm not sure what the status is on the overheating issues but, it's something you should check out if you haven't already.

https://www.google.com/search?q=c7+o...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Good luck.
              HFM

Comment

Originally posted by hfm View Post

The prices of C7s will crater the moment sales of the C8 start later this year. Once people realize that there is no need to pay an ADM on a high volume car and insist on paying MSRP or less, the C7 prices should be at a bottom, maybe early next year.

I'm not sure what the status is on the overheating issues but, it's something you should check out if you haven't already.

https://www.google.com/search?q=c7+o...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Good luck.
                I've done some research on the overheating issue. GM added more cooling capacity in 2017, hence my desire to buy a 2017+.

The C8 is nice, but I prefer the classic proportions of the C7, plus a manual transmission.

Comment

Chevy is going to sell a bunch of these. The price point vs performance on a base or more base model will absolutely outclass a Supra /Mustang/ Boxster and my guess is once a Z06 or ZR1 comes out, its going to be in the league of cars twice its cost. And it looks good if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by cart213 View Post

I've done some research on the overheating issue. GM added more cooling capacity in 2017, hence my desire to buy a 2017+.

The C8 is nice, but I prefer the classic proportions of the C7, plus a manual transmission.
                    I agree. I really like the looks, and the idea, of the C8. But, the C7 is classic classic.
                    At the precipice, we change!
                    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post

I agree. I really like the looks, and the idea, of the C8. But, the C7 is classic classic.
                      I get it, the horses were always in the front on the vehicles you grew up with! LOL

Comment

Actually, my one horse was in front, but it was pulling a plow.
                        At the precipice, we change!
                        The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

Working...
                        X