Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: Flying and flight school

I'll take my chances. Put Master
    Man, i would be cool to get a pilot's license. I envy you Jon. I just don't have a the patience. If I'm being completely honest, even though I know intellectually flying is safer than riding bikes, flying scares me a lot more for some reason.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
    Man, i would be cool to get a pilot's license. I envy you Jon. I just don't have a the patience. If I'm being completely honest, even though I know intellectually flying is safer than riding bikes, flying scares me a lot more for some reason.
    Would you be afraid to fly with me? I have never had a safety violation and the most unsafe thing I've ever done was landing on the nose wheel once. That caused a pilot induced oscillation, meaning the airplane bounced back up into the air and came back down and then bounced again. That was a dangerous situation to be in, but I recovered exactly as required and executed a go-around takeoff. I went back around in the pattern and landed as normal after that. I vowed to never make that mistake again and I haven't in over a year and probably 70 hours of additional flight time. I like to think that I'm a very safe pilot. I'm very conservative and very safety conscious. ATC has put me into dangerous situations a handful of times and I recognized and rectified all of them immediately.

If you ever come up with me, I could let you handle the airplane and get a feel for it. I can't endorse you for training, but that doesn't mean I can't teach you some things.
    Last edited by Just Jon; 08-31-2017 at 06:43 AM.
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

Strong Putter Strong Put
    I think there's something to the time differential in a vehicle crash and an airplane crash. I suspect we fear, consciously or not, that long fall with the inevitable ending. We'd much rather have that "wow, what the hell was that" feeling of a car/bike crash.

And, of course, there's the fact that we grow up in cars and lose our fear long before we actually drive.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Well, this has been a horrible month for my flying career. Either the airplane has had a problem or I've been fighting off a head cold that everyone has at my office. My sinuses and ears have been bothering me just enough to keep me from wanting to fly.

I was so damn close to getting my license. It's really irksome. Everyone I work with is sick and keeps coming to work sick. They're passing around the virus and now some people have been sick twice.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Check this out: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/462557...s-winds-video/

I've landed a Cessna 172 in a 15 knot crosswind that gusted to 18. (That's 17 mph gusting to 21.) It was a bit tricky and not my best landing, but it wasn't a problem to keep control. I would have passed a check ride with that landing. Airliners can easily handle double that, especially a big and heavy A380 with a huge rudder. 22 mph is nothing for that airplane.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    My school just got a 2006 Cessna 182 for renting. It looks like this: https://www.controller.com/listings/...o-182t-skylane

It has the G1000 glass cockpit just like that airplane. It's bigger and much more powerful, so its useful load is enough to take us on a trip somewhere with real baggage. The 235 hp engine means faster cruise but it means I'll have to get a high performance endorsement to fly it. I've been wanting to do that anyway, but the only planes they had for that were Cirrus SR22s and those are really expensive to rent. Plus, they only let people with instrument ratings fly them. This airplane opens the door for me for that endorsement. It's about $100 more per hour to rent, so it's in the low $200s and that's manageable.

I heard they're also getting an older Piper Arrow, which is an airplane with retractable gear. I can get the complex aircraft endorsement with that airplane. I'm not sure what the rental fee will be for that airplane, but it should be comparable to the 182. Insurance costs are higher on a retractable gear airplane. It should fly a little faster than the 182 but it won't have as high a ceiling (normally aspirated engine). They typically have 200 hp engines.

I'm really excited that they've found people to lease back airplanes to them so that we have more options now. It's really hard to rent a 172 for a day and they won't rent them overnight, so now Jen and I (and anyone else) can take trips if we want. We can visit my bro and his family in Indiana really easily and either airplane will be nice to fly to Ohio to visit her bro.

Database Error Put Master
    Any chance you could fly to Minuteman Field in Stowe, MA? It's real near my house and there's a pretty awesome cafe right in the middle of the field.
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    6B6 is pretty far away. It'd be a nice trip to do someday when I'm more experienced. I wouldn't want to go that far without an instrument rating. It'd be easier if we had our own airplane but not impossible to do with the 182 at my school. It'd just be expensive.

Database Error Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jon View Post
    6B6 is pretty far away. It'd be a nice trip to do someday when I'm more experienced. I wouldn't want to go that far without an instrument rating. It'd be easier if we had our own airplane but not impossible to do with the 182 at my school. It'd just be expensive.
    It'd be a real tasty lunch.

Zach(wheedles)
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    It'd be around 800nm. The furthest I've flown is a quarter of that. I'd need more experience before tackling that.

It would be nice to fly 200 some nm to Columbus and see Jen's brother. We could go on from there after a day or two. Plus, I still have family in the Boston area.