Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying and flight school

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    I got some great flying in last weekend. It was really windy on Saturday, but I went up with an instructor and flew to another airport to do some crosswind landing practice in bad winds. None of my landings were bad and all he had were some fine tuning pointers. That was a big confidence booster.

I flew solo yesterday and practiced maneuvers between Lake Geneva and the Chain of Lakes. I had a small left crosswind on the landing when I got back and I fell back into my bad habit of loosening the crosswind control just above the runway. The airplane blew a bit to the right of the center line because of that. I really need to break myself of that habit. It's just awkward landing on the upwind main wheel first. It looks weird touching down with the airplane rolled.

I'm still trying to fill in my few remaining requirements. I hope to fly my long cross-country soon. That's kind of the big sendoff before going to the check ride. (I still need to finish up some other things anyway.)

I saw a T-6 Texan at Waukegan airport on Saturday. It was taking off. I want to fly one of those one day. It must've been from the 1940s.

This is what the Texan can do:

I almost hit a damn seagull yesterday. I was descending to 1,000 feet above the ground to do some ground reference practice and the bird came up just below me and in front of my left wing. He was turned towards my prop, so I started to turn away from him. Fortunately, he must've heard the prop and engine and turned away before he was chopped into bits. That would have been a very bad day for both of us.
    Last edited by Just Jon; 05-16-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    If any of the locals are interested, there's going to be a big gathering of TBM Avengers at Illinois Valley Regional Airport in Peru this Saturday: http://airshowstuff.com/v4/2017/tbm-...igger-in-2017/

I was invited to fly in by the local EAA chapter, but I don't have my license or an airplane yet. It shouldn't be a tough drive, though. It would take about 2 hours from my house. (I will not be going. I'm supposed to have a flight lesson.)

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    We've had so much rain and/or wind that I haven't been lucky enough to fly a lot.

Here's a cool video anyway:

put-put Put Master
    That's fun. I'm sure i don't want to know how much that cost, but I'd love to do it myself!
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    That thing costs $4,000-$5,000 to fuel. I don't know what the burn rate is, but holy cow is that expensive.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Over the last 2 years I've heard some goofy things on the radio but nothing as bad as this stuff:

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    I'm supposed to out at 9pm tonight and knock out the 5 night landings that I still need. Night flying in summer sucks because sunset is so damn late. It's only going to get worse for the next 4 weeks, so I figured I might as well do it now.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    I have an airplane today after work and it's shaping up to be a nice day. I might actually get to fly my long cross-country to Janesville, WI, then to Madison, WI, and back to Chicago Exec. It should be 2 hours in the air, so roughly 2.5-2.75 hours of engine running time. (It depends on how busy the airports are while I'm on the ground.)

If I'm unable to get enough time, I might just fly a short cross-country leg to Janesville and back. I need 3.3 hours of cross-country time, so I'll need another short cross-country flight anyway.

It's getting so that I'm very comfortable with everything. I can usually land an airplane on the exact spot on the ground that I wish. Now comes the challenge of not becoming complacent.

Complacency=unsafe
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    My instructor seems to think I'm ready for the check ride, so it's just a matter of finishing up my cross-country requirements. (Last weekend's weather didn't cooperate for that.)