Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying and flight school

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Some pilot friends of mine told me there is an Antonov An-2 at Kenosha airport just sitting idle.

It's a neat old airplane. You can actually see it on Google at the end of runway 7R.
    Last edited by Just Jon; 07-10-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    I know I mentioned this a few months ago, but I really want to get one of these:

They're fairly inexpensive to buy and maintain, though I've heard you really want to find a mechanic who is an expert on them. Some parts are no longer produced, so they'll have to be reconditioned or bought second-hand, like off of a parted-out airplane. That's not a deal-breaker, assuming we could find an airplane that's in great condition. I'm sure I could hire an expert to help me find one and inspect it thoroughly. My pilot friend at work, who was laid-off just yesterday , thinks they're excellent airplanes and a good value, generally. They're fairly efficient and quick. I'd have to get re-used to a low wing airplane again and I'd have to get used to a free castering nose wheel. That should only take a handful of hours. The Tiger should be able to get us where we want to go and still carry a third person every now and then. It's also possible to get one that's IFR certified or certifiable, so when I get my instrument rating, we'd be able to fly through cloudy weather.

The real bummer is that we'd probably have to store the airplane at an airport that's an hour away. The close airports don't have any hangars available and when they do, they're expensive. Airports further out, like Dekalb or Kenosha, have hangars for rent or for sale and they're not outrageously expensive. It's a tough call. I'm not sure it'd be worth it, since I'd want convenience. I'd want to go flying after work and whenever else I want. If I can't fly the airplane enough, it doesn't make sense to own one.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

Strong Putter Strong Put
    Might be cheaper and more convenient to just move.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    Might be cheaper and more convenient to just move.
    Right now Jen and I both make very good money. She has a contracted teaching position with tenure and the promise of a very nice pension, so it'd be dumb for her to give that up. I might end up having to find another job in the near future. That could push us into Wisconsin, if Jen is willing to make the commute. That would at least put us closer to one of the airports that has available space. Neither of us would mind getting out of Illinois. We're most likely going to do that when Jen retires, provided I can either find another job or "retire" early. We've had our sights set on Florida lately.
    Last edited by Just Jon; 07-13-2017 at 07:58 AM.

Strong Putter Strong Put
    You realize, of course, when you retire to Florida, you will then be the old drivers your successors complain about.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    You realize, of course, when you retire to Florida, you will then be the old drivers your successors complain about.
    Nah. I'm talking in our 60s. I plan to still be flying airplanes.

And cars will probably be autonomous anyway.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    The airport that I use is right next to the Des Plaines River, which has been over flood stage for days.

This is what the airport looked like on Saturday:

Just in front of the wing strut should be runway 6/24. It's completely underwater for the 24 half. Many taxiways were closed because of water, too. It was really bad. The weird thing is that Milwaukee Ave. isn't flooded. It sits between the airport and the river. My best guess is that there are drains on the airport that go under the street to the river.

There is a hotel next to the school's office and it was flooded immediately after the rain storm. They were closed on Saturday but looked like they reopened yesterday. That place was just remodeled last year.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    A 64-year-old pilot from suburban Chicago was killed early Sunday shortly after taking off from a Kansas airport, according to the Atchison County Sheriff's Office.
    http://abc7chicago.com/news/illinois...crash/2224543/

He was flying P-51 "Baby Duck" when he crashed, killing himself and a passenger.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    I flew last Sunday but I wasn't allowed to fly my final solo cross-country, since there was tons of traffic flying to Oshkosh for the airshow. The school doesn't want solo students in danger with all of the traffic. I went out with my instructor and practiced some of the maneuvers for the check ride. The good news is that I flew every maneuver well enough to pass the test.

The airport was busier than I've ever seen. There was tons of transient traffic and the controllers were overwhelmed. The radio calls were so constant that even though I was spaced into a final approach, the controller didn't even have time to clear me for landing, so I had to go around. We had to do some spacing maneuvers before our second attempt because there were so many airplanes in the pattern and flying through the airport's airspace. We finally got down and decided that we wouldn't bother with landing practice. It was kind of nuts.

Anyway, for the locals, the WWII airplanes are coming back to Chicago Exec.:

http://chiexec.com/events/
    http://www.collingsfoundation.org/
    http://www.collingsfoundation.org/event/chicago-il/

They'll be at the airport from Wednesday through Sunday. It's a neat show, since you can walk up to and go inside of the bombers. You can pay for rides in the airplanes, too.
    Last edited by Just Jon; 07-24-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    I wish we could afford a diesel powered 172 or 182: https://generalaviationnews.com/2017...engine-at-osh/

9 gph and flying at 17,500 feet at 150 kts true is fantastic.

Jet A fuel is significantly cheaper than 100LL and it's easier to find at airports, too.