Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: Flying and flight school

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    He had a right banking angle, so he was definitely trying to make the road. He was trying to stretch the glide by keeping the nose up, which is a big no-no. That resulted in the stall and spin. I'm absolutely positive that he could have made the road if he lowered the nose. He crashed the plane by stalling it. Airplanes don't just drop like that when the wings are making lift. It's a classic stall-spin with the high wing stalling first/more and rolling the airplane toward it. I've practiced this stuff more times than I can count and I've purposely flown uncoordinated enough (at altitude!) to cause the wing drop in a power-off stall so that I know how it feels and how it happens. BTW, it's really hard to spin a Cessna. You have to really screw up, like banking rather steeply and pulling back on the yoke fairly hard at a low airspeed. Vg (best glide speed) tends to be just a few knots over stall speed and your stall speed goes up in a turn with the load factor. That makes it easier to stall a plane in a turn and that's why the base-to-final turn on landing is infamous for killing pilots. That's essentially what this guy did. He may have been trying to tighten his turn rather than letting the airplane turn on its own and lowering the nose to avoid the stall.

I keep watching this video over and over and I can see the exact moment of the stall. This should be mandatory viewing for student pilots.

Yesterday, I was practicing performance takeoffs and landings with a different instructor. I flew great patterns (as great as I could, considering ATC would have me do non-standard stuff periodically) but my short field landings weren't great. I couldn't nail my chosen point on the runway. Most of my landings were about 200 feet long, which would pass a check ride but I wasn't happy about them. I was about 50-100 feet short on two of them, and that's bad. Landing short is never allowed on a check ride even if I'm landing on the runway. I misjudged my sink rate on both of those times. If I wasn't over the runway, I would have gone around. The guy I was flying with really didn't have much to tell me that helped me. He was happy with everything else that I was doing, but I was really frustrated. I'm going to try a more strict instructor next weekend and I hope that guy can really get me consistent with those short field landings.

That's going to be the final stage check that they do at the school. Then I'm going to take a mock oral exam with the chief pilot. I hear he's a real stickler and that he's tough to get along with. The guy I flew with yesterday asked why I requested a mock test with him and I told him that if I can do ok with the chief pilot, I'll be fine on the check ride. We'll see. I have to hit the books hard this week. There's soooo much to remember.
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    I had two days in a row of great flying weather and great flying. I went up with my usual instructor and practiced short field landings on Saturday. I landed 5 times and all 5 were well within requirements. He asked me what went wrong the previous weekend and I had no idea. We went up and practiced a diversion, some emergencies, navigating by radio, a no-flap landing with a forward slip, a short field landing, and a soft field landing yesterday morning. I did everything well enough to pass a check ride, so this coming weekend will be my mock check ride flight with another instructor. I'll probably have the mock oral exam with the chief pilot during the week after that.
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF