Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Cook County, IL considers "soda tax"

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    In a letter delivered to Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle, IDHS said the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Food and Nutrition Service determined Cook County is violating federal law when it comes to taxing low-income families on the new sweetened beverage tax. The letter specifically mentioned families who are in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, also known as SNAP.
    http://abc7chicago.com/politics/part...-says/2293186/
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

On Lake Cook road, I visted Wal Mart (on the Cook County side of the road) and Target (on the Lake County side of the road) yesterday. For reference:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1535066,-87.9523051,17z

WalMart had signs informing people they would be paying the tax.

Target had signs informing people they would not be paying the tax!

Pete (will not be going to WalMart)

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Target wins!

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

Strong Putter Strong Put
    Why would the WalMart advertise the fact that they are a more expensive place to shop than their competition?

Do either of them really need to advertise? Isn't it obvious that LAKE COOK road is the advertisement?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Tnnisace73 View Post
    Do either of them really need to advertise? Isn't it obvious that LAKE COOK road is the advertisement?
    You'd be surprised how many people don't know that's the border.

Pete (is surprised each time he meets one too)

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    How is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jon View Post
    How is that possible?
    I told one of my coworkers about the tax and the Lake-Cook road Walmart/Target. He told me that he never made the connection on the name of the road, and he figured the road was named Lake Cook road because there was a lake called Cook nearby.

Pete (facepalmed right in front of him)

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    CHICAGO (WLS) -- Illinois House Republicans introduced Tuesday a bill that would repeal the controversial Cook County sugary beverage tax.

During a press conference in Chicago, the state lawmakers said the tax has already hurt Cook County retailers, noting that they have received overwhelmingly negative feedback from both store owners and shoppers.
    http://abc7chicago.com/politics/repu...e-tax/2310512/

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    A few days ago, Jen and I went to Sonic in Crook County to get slushes. (It was a warm day and we wanted a treat.)

I got a medium 20oz, which was $2.29 before taxes.

There was a line item for the Cook County Sweetened Beverage Tax below for $0.20.

Jen got a small 14 oz, which was $1.19 before taxes.

There was a line item for the Cook County Sweetened Beverage Tax below for $0.14.

The subtotal included the price before taxes and the two charges for the CCSBT: $3.82.

They then charged 10% sales tax on that subtotal! $0.38

They charged us sales tax on a tax! I will NEVER buy another drink in Crook County ever again. Restaurants and stores don't know how to handle this tax and the county doesn't give a crap if they pull this nonsense, because it means they'll make more money. I'm going to avoid shopping in that county unless absolutely necessary.