Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Age of the KKK

I'll take my chances. Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plezercruz View Post
    Agreed. Shame on the Starbucks. Cops just doing their jobs in this case (a job that a private enforcement group would do anyway, so no knee-jerk reactions from you Steve).

And even the "shame on Starbucks" needs further investigation. How long were these guys waiting without buying anything? How full was the Starbucks? Why didn't they just buy something? Is there really a double standard based on race here? Possibly. But possibly not.

Pete (thinks that there are a lot of facts unknown here and isn't keen on trusting a reporter's half of the story)
    I hate cops! But in this case, guys were on private property. They were asked to leave. They refused. That's trespassing. The cops' hands were tied. It's Starbucks that is the asshole in this case, simple as that.

Where was the criticism against a favored company in that article?
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Most restaurants and businesses in big cities limit restrooms to paying customers. Several of them print the bathroom lock codes on their receipts. I get that. But is the 20 squares of toilet paper a non customer uses coming directly out of the store manager's paycheck? So what did this Starbuck's manager accomplish by having these 2 guys removed? From the article, it appears all the customers sided with the black guys. So what could they have done to warrant having the cops called on them? If I'm the store manager and that is their policy to call the cops on any non customers, I wouldn't do it. Especially for the pittance I would be getting paid. And Starbucks will probably fire her to save face. I'd think a manager would have better things to do than play eagle eye on every person inside their store.

Movie Guru Great Put
    Chicago Illinois, where we call Wisconsin, our state park : D
    In my experience managing a store, is very busy job and it's hard to keep track of all the costumer. Also in my experience lingering people are not good for business. Also shrink is a huge consideration. It really depends on the business, it's location, many factors.
    Coffee shops usually have a lot of people lingering.

01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    This is already out of hand.

PHILADELPHIA -- Demonstrators showed up around noon on Sunday, holding signs and shouting messages of anger outside a Philadelphia Starbucks.
    http://abc7chicago.com/protesters-ga...rests/3348290/

The police are not at fault and the public is already putting Starbucks and the store manager on trial.

Ross said the department's internal investigation revealed the officers who responded to the scene acted appropriately, and in accordance with police guidelines.

"On three different occasions the officers asked the males to leave, politely," Ross said, "because they were being asked to leave by employees, because they were trespassing. Instead, the males continued to refuse.... They told the officers they were not leaving."
    http://abc7chicago.com/starbucks-res...viral/3342122/

Why didn't these guys just buy something? I know Starbucks is ridiculously expensive and their coffee tastes like ass, but just buy the cheapest thing they have and use the bathroom. I've been in that situation before when I really had to take a leak and a clerk said "paying customers only", so I said "give me a pack of gum", threw a dollar at him, said, "keep the change", and went to the bathroom.
    Last edited by Just Jon; 04-16-2018 at 09:10 AM.
    I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Incidentally, the story has already changed in the Starbucks case. The men who were "waiting for a friend" were now "attempting to use the washroom without buying anything." That's against the rules even if they were just waiting for a friend.

Pete (thinks that's a common policy in many large cities)

Starbucks in downtown Miami would be a public bathroom for our homeless population without such a rule.

I don't have any problem with it.

skooly (also likes their coffee)
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Stores and restaurants out in the 'burbs where I live have those rules, too. It's common and sensible. Like I said, just buy something cheap.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Under the #BoycottStarbucks hashtag on Twitter, people accused the chainís employees of racially profiling the men, and criticized police for arresting them when they refused to leave.
    http://www.newsweek.com/calls-grow-b...rdering-886355

Quote Originally Posted by skooly View Post
    Starbucks in downtown Miami would be a public bathroom for our homeless population without such a rule.

I don't have any problem with it.

skooly (also likes their coffee)
    Yes, that's the point of the rule. But as this manager and Starbucks is finding out, this was a stupid hill to die on. Sometimes and act of good will buys future customers.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    I want to know what led to the manager asking them to leave. Were they being belligerent jerks or was the manager quick to pull the trigger? I'd much rather quietly let them use the bathroom than call the cops on them if I were running the cafe, but they could also buy something cheap and we'd call it a day. I'd tell them, "Come on, guys. Just buy a coffee or a muffin and we're good."

I don't like to get cops involved for anything unless it's absolutely necessary.