Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: The Trumpcare thread

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    The House and Senate health care bills adjust or repeal many Obamacare taxes, but the main ones being castigated as "handouts to the rich" are the elimination of the 3.8% Affordable Care Act (ACA) hike in the tax rate on investment income and the 0.9% increase in the Medicare tax on wage and salary income for high-income earners (over $200,000 for an individual or $250,000 for a family). The Tax Policy Center has estimated that, by 2026, people who earn $5 million or more would, on average, see their taxes cut by almost $250,000.

This criticism of the Republican bills is understandable but wrongheaded.
    Standard economics says that high marginal tax rates reduce economic activity by reducing the incentive to save and work. And the ACA taxes on investment savings and high incomes are exactly backwards from this perspective; they raise the tax burden on savings and working for high income taxpayers, the ones most likely to alter their behavior in response to such taxes, thereby slowing economic growth which affects everyone.

There is considerable evidence that cutting taxes of this kind is a plus -- such cuts boost the economy in the short term, and perhaps to a modest degree over the longer haul.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/28/opinio...ron/index.html

Taking less money from people is not giving a handout! It drives me crazy when people try to argue that nonsense. We've had so many discussions about that over the years. We are not custodians of the government's money.
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    President Donald Trump's effort to roll back Obamacare faced growing obstacles on Monday as Republicans who control the U.S. Senate remained divided over how to curb the costs of their proposed healthcare bill and prevent millions from losing coverage.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN19V0YP

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

Needs your put
    Blog Entries

Needs your put
    Blog Entries

Strong Putter Strong Put
    Quote Originally Posted by Plezercruz View Post
    By virtue of the fact that the fact that the national discussion on healthcare has been so dramatically shifted that virtually everyone agrees that all people should be "covered" regardless of willingness or ability to pay, I'd say the Democrats have already won this particular battle.

Pete (thinks we'll continue to have an unrealistically expensive healthcare system until everything collapses)
    Viewed another way, they've won this battle and we've all lost the war.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Strong Putter Strong Put
    It's time we come up with a new "right" to champion. Cost, however, must be in the trillions to qualify. Make some of you wish you were as old as me, huh?
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    The vote was delayed because McCain is in the hospital. That's how badly they need his vote.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Senate budget rules are giving opponents of the rollback of the 2010 health care law an easy way to attack Republicans for hypocrisy.

The Senate GOP may not really want to immunize their own member and staff health plans from their health care policy changes, but because they are seeking to bring their bill to the floor under the expedited budget reconciliation process, they have little choice.
    http://www.rollcall.com/news/politic...acare-rollback

"But this bill keeps most of the ObamaCare taxes, keeps most of the regulations, keeps most of the subsidies," he said. "And creates something that Republicans have never been for, and that's a giant insurance bailout superfund."
    "What I've suggested to the president ... if this comes to an impasse, I think if the president jumps into the fray and says 'Look guys, you promised to repeal it, let's just repeal what we can agree to,'" Paul said.

"And then we can continue to try to fix, replace or whatever has to happen afterwards," he continued.
    http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...bill-right-now
    Last edited by Just Jon; 07-17-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Vice President Mike Pence, Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Administrator Seema Verma made a frantic bid at the National Governors Association meeting Friday and Saturday to win over -- or at least silence -- skeptical GOP governors.
    But their efforts left major questions unanswered, Republican and Democratic governors said.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/15/politi...ors/index.html

The governors were demanding to see the unicorn generator, but were disappointed.

Pete (sums up)