Thread: Lithium-Ion Battery Inventor Introduces Fast-Charging, Noncombustible Batteries

Needs your put
    Blog Entries

Lithium-Ion Battery Inventor Introduces Fast-Charging, Noncombustible Batteries

Goodenough’s latest breakthrough, completed with Cockrell School senior research fellow Maria Helena Braga, is a low-cost all-solid-state battery that is noncombustible and has a long cycle life (battery life) with a high volumetric energy density and fast rates of charge and discharge. The engineers describe their new technology in a recent paper published in the journal Energy & Environmental Science.

“Cost, safety, energy density, rates of charge and discharge and cycle life are critical for battery-driven cars to be more widely adopted. We believe our discovery solves many of the problems that are inherent in today’s batteries,” Goodenough said.
    Today’s lithium-ion batteries use liquid electrolytes to transport the lithium ions between the anode (the negative side of the battery) and the cathode (the positive side of the battery). If a battery cell is charged too quickly, it can cause dendrites or “metal whiskers” to form and cross through the liquid electrolytes, causing a short circuit that can lead to explosions and fires. Instead of liquid electrolytes, the researchers rely on glass electrolytes that enable the use of an alkali-metal anode without the formation of dendrites.
    Additionally, because the solid-glass electrolytes can operate, or have high conductivity, at -20 degrees Celsius, this type of battery in a car could perform well in subzero degree weather. This is the first all-solid-state battery cell that can operate under 60 degree Celsius.
    “The glass electrolytes allow for the substitution of low-cost sodium for lithium. Sodium is extracted from seawater that is widely available,” Braga said.
    http://engr.utexas.edu/news/8203-goodenough-batteries
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

Database Error Put Master
    Sodium is much larger and heavier than lithium, and if converted to metallic form, more explosively flammable. I'm not sure why sodium would be an improvement.
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Sodium is much larger and heavier than lithium, and if converted to metallic form, more explosively flammable. I'm not sure why sodium would be an improvement.
    Better explosions?

Pete (eyes the next gen Samsung)

Database Error Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plezercruz View Post
    Better explosions?

Pete (eyes the next gen Samsung)
    Tho message brought to you by Michael Bay
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Tho message brought to you by Michael Bay
    ...with aircraft flying in front of the sunset just after a hundred yuge splosions.
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF