Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Police: Venus Williams at fault in fatal crash; victim's family sues

There are just some basic things that Americans agree upon that Greeks just don't. We have people who break traffic laws. We do not have people who think they don't exist. Even the lawbreakers in this country generally concede certain things.

Things like the existence of lanes. We have lane splitters and lane weavers and shoulder riders, but in Greece it's perfectly normal for cars to be driving four abreast on a three-lane street, with the cars at either end half on the shoulder, at 80 mph. The painted lines on the road are irrelevant. Depending on the road, people may ignore them entirely. If the road is wide nough to accept 4 lanes of traffic but is painted for 3, people will simply ignore the markings and just drive in four columns. If cars are parked in such a way as to constrict the lanes (see below) people simply drive right on the lines.

Nobody stops at stop signs. Ever. I'm not kidding. If you see someone stop at a stop sign, he's for sure a tourist. Greeks do generally respect stoplights, but never stop signs.

Similarly, nobody pays any attention to double yellow lines. They are just wasted paint. Greek motorists pass when they feel like it, even on an incline when another car might be coming.

Speed limits are also for tourists (and are by and large absurdly low, encouraging people to ignore them, which they do).

Motorbikes are everywhere and ignore all traffic laws period. Cars generally stop at red lights. Motorbikes often do not.

Greeks will park their cars anywhere. If they have to take a leak, they'll park their car in the right lane of a major highway and do their business. If they want to take a selfie, they'll park their car right there in the middle of a one-lane winding mountain road. It's your job to notice them and stop. Relax...they won't take long. Why are you in such a hurry anyway? If they can't find parking, they'll park on the right shoulder of a major highway. If that fills up, they'll park on the left shoulder (between the lanes of traffic). They park on the sidewalk. They park wherever they want.

Drunk driving is rampant. Most of them think they're pretty good at it. After 9pm, you just have to assume everyone but you is drunk (assuming you're not). This is also true after 5pm on weekends. Not kidding...EVERYONE drives drunk. It's not even a stigma out there...everyone expects you to drive home from the bar unless you're "too drunk."

It's just a different world out there.

Pete (is pretty sure no American really understands)
    Last edited by Plezercruz; 07-16-2017 at 03:12 AM.

Strong Putter Strong Put
    I was gonna suggest Houston, but I can't top Pete. I'd Rep him, but it won't let me unless I Rep someone else gratuitously first. Anybody need a Rep?
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Strong Putter Strong Put
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    I was gonna suggest Houston, but I can't top Pete. I'd Rep him, but it won't let me unless I Rep someone else gratuitously first. Anybody need a Rep?
    I repped Pete for you, Ronny.

Strong Putter Strong Put
    Thanks.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Database Error Put Master
    Do they just not collect statistics on motor vehicle accidents/fatalities, or are they mysteriously lower than you'd expect? I'd guess that they were #1 cause of death from your description.
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

Greek fatality rates were the highest in the western world for a while. They've taken a nosedive in recent years, mostly due to aggressive engineering changes from the government. The most costly and most effective was a campaign to physically divide all highways to prevent "passing" fatalities caused by head-on collisions. The graph here says it all: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ths-in-greece/

I note that this doesn't mean Greek drivers have gotten any better. It's more that the state has given up on them learning to drive and engineered against their most outrageous behavior. Even after this nosedive in fatalities, this is still true:

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2016...highest-in-eu/

Car Crashes in Greece the Highest in EU

The number of deaths resulting from car crashes in Greece reaches 1,600 while over 20,000 were injured last year. On a daily basis, five people die, five are left quadriplegic, ten are left paraplegic, 60 are injured leading to tens of thousands of euros in damages.

This terrifying data regarding the dangerous driving conditions in the streets of Greece was presented by the Special Permanent Committee on Road Safety.

Most of the accidents happen in inhabited areas, with speeds less than 45km per hour. Most of the victims that die on the streets are under 30 years of age and according to recent data, 60 to 70 percent of the victims are aged between 15 to 29.

According to Iaveris, the reasons behind these accidents have been attributed to the terrible condition of streets and the dangerous drivers in conjunction with the ignorance and the indifference which leads to this criminal result.

The aforementioned numbers place Greece 28th in terms of number of accidents and last place in the European Union.
    Pete (notes that this is a year after all of the improvements in that graph)

Database Error Put Master
    Am I correct that younger people are more likely to die in crashes because so few live to be older?!?
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Am I correct that younger people are more likely to die in crashes because so few live to be older?!?
    I personally witnessed a crash that killed a girl that probably wasn't even 20.

Pete (has also seen a bleeding old guy being pulled out of his car using the jaws of life, though)