Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Irma churns into category 5 hurricane, likely to hit Florida

My parents still dont have power and have been at my house the whole time. My office has no power either, so we are working off of our cell phones and laptops.

Could be worse.

Keep the doom and gloom coming, national news media!

Pete (is happy that they keep scaring people away from Florida so he can have Disneyworld to himself next Monday)

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Get a chance to drive down to Bonita Springs, Ryan?
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    LOWER MATECUMBE KEY, Fla. -- At least five people have died at a nursing home in Hollywood, Florida, Broward County Mayor Barbara Sharief said during a press conference Wednesday morning.
    http://abc7chicago.com/weather/at-le...-irma/2411320/

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jon View Post
    Aside from the nursing home deaths, at least 13 people in Florida were killed in Irma-related circumstances, many of them well after the storm had passed. A Tampa man died after the chain saw he was using to remove branches kicked back and cut his carotid artery.
    This is typical. Something like 3/4 of hurricane related deaths are from dumb things people do after the hurricane passes and before the rest of the world is ready to respond to their stupidity. Things like climbing on your roof and falling off, running generators indoors, or using chainsaws and other equipment in a chaotic environment. Also people just get unlucky, like having a heart attack when there's nobody to get you to the hospital or these people who die of heat exposure from lack of air conditioning.

Pete (knows the most dangerous time is after the storm)

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jon View Post
    Get a chance to drive down to Bonita Springs, Ryan?

Not yet, but your hotel is safe lol.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Barbuda has been left completely devastated by Hurricane Irma. An estimated 95% of Barbuda’s structures are damaged, and the entire island of around 1,800 people has been evacuated.

“The damage is complete,” says Ambassador Ronald Sanders, who has served as Antigua and Barbuda’s ambassador to the U.S. since 2015. “For the first time in 300 years, there’s not a single living person on the island of Barbuda — a civilization that has existed on that island for over 300 years has now been extinguished.”
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ion/665950001/

Needs your put
    Blog Entries

Warning Notice from Miami-Dade County After Irma

The code enforcement guy did give Celso something…

Celso Perez: “He said he would have to cite me for having my fence down.”

This warning was slapped on the part of the fence still standing. Celso is a very calm guy. His reaction?

Celso Perez: “I laughed. I thought he was kidding. ‘You are kidding right? We just had a hurricane six hours ago.’ ‘No, I’m not kidding. I have to cite you for this.’ I just laughed. OK, whatever; knock yourself out!”
    I contacted Miami-Dade County and found out Celso was not alone.

After Irma, the county handed out 680 pool barrier safety notices and 177 electrical hazard safety notices to homeowners suffering damage from Irma.

The county stood by their decision to hand out these notices right after Irma.
    http://wsvn.com/news/help-me-howard/...ty-after-irma/

Unbelievable. There's debris, sharp objects, possibly power lines down that could go live, and any other number of hazards and the county is worried about harassing homeowners because a kid might fall in their pool.

Last edited by Just Jon; 09-20-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Residents across the region Tuesday reported catching a whiff of a foul, rancid smell that officials blamed on dead fish, stagnant water, flooded ponds and rotting debris — but likely not sewage.
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...919-story.html

The foul rancid smell is Floridians.
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.