Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Apple launches $999 iPhone X in bid to regain innovation lead

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    So many people get tricked into the financing thing, which only allows the manufacturers to sell more expensive phones.
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

Quote Originally Posted by Plezercruz View Post
    There was a time when that was true for me, but lately nobody seems to be offering me a free phone any more. They all want to make me pay for it monthly instead of lump sum.

Pete (might just not be looking hard enough)
    I have seen several mobile companies offering like $500 or more to pay for you to switch and it will go towards contract breakage fees or the phone. Maybe those offers are long gone now?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

I have an iPhone 6 Plus and it's perfect for me. I had to pay full price when it came out but that was so Verizon couldn't take me off their old school unlimited plan. True unlimited. For me to upgrade...my 6 would have to turn into a brick or Apple would really have to dazzle me. They haven't so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
    I'm a lot more worried about the commies running DC than I am about commies half way around the world.

Strong Putter Strong Put
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzardmountain View Post
    I have an iPhone 6 Plus and it's perfect for me. I had to pay full price when it came out but that was so Verizon couldn't take me off their old school unlimited plan. True unlimited. For me to upgrade...my 6 would have to turn into a brick or Apple would really have to dazzle me. They haven't so far.
    I'm on the same Verizon plan.

Stephen (has been buying no-contract Motorola phones for years to stay on the old plan.)

If this became reality I would be even more ecstatic than with the one I have.
    https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/25...-plus-concept/
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

So Apple, the company on Earth that is least wiling to replace a broken screen for you, wants to debut a new phone, the primary feature of which is the elimination of that part of the phone that offers some token defense of the screen?

Pete (thinks that's just brilliant)

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plezercruz View Post
    So Apple, the company on Earth that is least wiling to replace a broken screen for you, wants to debut a new phone, the primary feature of which is the elimination of that part of the phone that offers some token defense of the screen?

Pete (thinks that's just brilliant)
    I just learned over the weekend that the phones are backed with glass. I couldn't believe it when Jen told me that. The best part is that the glass backing is more expensive to fix than the screen! To replace the back glass, the whole phone must be disassembled.

They built a phone out of glass.

The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus have glass backs that, if smashed, cost more to replace than the screen.

The new plates, which bring glass to the back of Apple smartphones for the first time in four years, have been installed to enable wireless charging, but also introduce a new point of failure.
    The metal reinforcement of the glass back panel represents part of Apple’s durability efforts. A teardown of the iPhone 8 by repair site iFixit reveals that beneath the glass is a metal sheet that has a hole in its centre to make space for the wireless charging coil. That metal sheet is stuck to the glass panel by “lots” of glue, according to iFixit, which leads the repairers to conclude that while “the durability of the glass back remains to be seen … replacements are likely to be very difficult”.

That means a third-party repair of the glass panel is either going to be very difficult or very expensive, even compared to the screen. Apple’s own AppleCare+ for the iPhone 8, which costs £129, covers up to two damage repairs for two years. For the screen an excess of £25 is due, but repairs to the glass on the back of are only covered under the “other damage” part of the plan. According to AppleInsider, this costs £79 each time, making the back panel more than three times as expensive as the screen.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...place-accident

Why do you Apple people put up with this?
    Last edited by Just Jon; Today at 07:56 AM.
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, PWK, UGN, DKB, ENW, RFD, DPA, 06C, JVL, MSN, VPZ, LAF

I have dropped my iphones many times over the years. Never cracked a screen or broke anything. A simple case can do wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jon View Post
    Why do you Apple people put up with this?
    Because they're idiots. I'm seriously not kidding. They just don't know any better.

And it's not just the iTards. Samsung has started doing the exact same thing. The latest Galaxies are encased in glass too.

Pete (worked on one recently and the hardest part of repairing it was taking the glass off without breaking it)