Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: At least 50 dead, hundreds shot outside Mandalay Bay hotel in Las Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jon View Post
    Police inspections of all hotel rooms and all occupants' belongings on a daily basis would have prevented this.
    And if they choose too keep their belongings at home, why should they be immune to oversight?

Pete (lulz)

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Police say they do not expect to file charges against the girlfriend of a gunman who killed 58 people in Las Vegas in October.

Marilou Danley, girlfriend of gunman Stephen Paddock, had previously been named a person of interest in the case.

Sheriff Joe Lombardo told a news conference that police still do not know the motive for the mass shooting.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42754289

Evil people want to do evil things.
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, KPWK, KUGN, KDKB, KENW, KRFD, KDPA, 06C, KJVL, KMSN, VPZ, KLAF, 10C

Movie Guru Great Put
    Chicago Illinois, where we call Wisconsin, our state park : D

Ammo seller to Las Vegas killer arrested on federal charge

01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

put-put Put Master
    Looks like they're trying to find somebody to take to court more than anything. It's not illegal to own or sell armor-piercing rifle ammunition; the charge pertains to manufacturing and then selling ammunition without a license.

The US government sells surplus armor piercing ammunition (with a hardened steel penetrator in the nose) to the public every so often, so sale and possession aren't the issue.

Furthermore, almost any rifle round can penetrate non-hardened steel up to 1/4", while a high powered hunting round could likely get through a half inch of steel. The hysteria over "armor-piercing ammunition" is just that; hysteria.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this guy sold the shooter some ammunition, who then modified a couple rounds.

There are also complications involved with modifying a tracer round, which has a "cap" of, usually, a phosphorus compound that ignites when it is fired.

Making a round "armor-piercing" would involve drilling out a core of lead, starting from the tip, and then inserting a shaped, pointed cylinder made of hardened steel. And, doing so in such a fashion that the 4 to 12 gram bullet remains perfectly radially balanced at over 100,000 rpm. Seems unlikely that doing so would be successful. But perhaps that's why the shooter only tried to make a few; after spending a lot of time botching up perfectly good ammunition he likely would have given it up.

But since the authorities have to prove their capacity, they're going to charge somebody, and an unclear situation is good enough for them to drag somebody through the mud.
    Last edited by Jared; 02-03-2018 at 02:48 PM.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

This seems like adventures in reporting to me.

Pete (thinks the feds charged someone, possibly correctly, on a technicality and the press is making this all about the Vegas shootings)

I'll take my chances. Put Master
    Scapegoat. Poor guy is going to have his life ruined over absolutely nothing so the feds can perp-walk him and pretend they did something.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Resident Black Man Great Put
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Looks like they're trying to find somebody to take to court more than anything. It's not illegal to own or sell armor-piercing rifle ammunition; the charge pertains to manufacturing and then selling ammunition without a license.

The US government sells surplus armor piercing ammunition (with a hardened steel penetrator in the nose) to the public every so often, so sale and possession aren't the issue.

Furthermore, almost any rifle round can penetrate non-hardened steel up to 1/4", while a high powered hunting round could likely get through a half inch of steel. The hysteria over "armor-piercing ammunition" is just that; hysteria.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this guy sold the shooter some ammunition, who then modified a couple rounds.

There are also complications involved with modifying a tracer round, which has a "cap" of, usually, a phosphorus compound that ignites when it is fired.

Making a round "armor-piercing" would involve drilling out a core of lead, starting from the tip, and then inserting a shaped, pointed cylinder made of hardened steel. And, doing so in such a fashion that the 4 to 12 gram bullet remains perfectly radially balanced at over 100,000 rpm. Seems unlikely that doing so would be successful. But perhaps that's why the shooter only tried to make a few; after spending a lot of time botching up perfectly good ammunition he likely would have given it up.

But since the authorities have to prove their capacity, they're going to charge somebody, and an unclear situation is good enough for them to drag somebody through the mud.
    So it's kinda like selling oxycontin without being a pharmacist?

I'll take my chances. Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutnupe14 View Post
    So it's kinda like selling oxycontin without being a pharmacist?
    Not at all, because it requires the necessary government permission slip to purchase oxycontic and it's illegal to possess without that permission slip. The government argument being all parts of the transaction in these types of drugs need to be trackable. If you act outside of the government scheme to manufacture or distribute and someone dies, pretty much anyone in the chain could be legally liable for something.

In the case of this type of ammunition, you can legally walk into any gun show and shop, pay cash, and walk out with no record. It's not illegal to own.

So this is much more analogous to little girls operating a lemonade stand without the required permits.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

put-put Put Master
    Not even that, because a permit isn't required to sell them; it's more like a guy selling cat-back exhaust systems, and then being accused of illegally gutting the muffler after the owner drive through a crowd.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Paddock didn't need armor piercing rounds to kill these people.
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, KPWK, KUGN, KDKB, KENW, KRFD, KDPA, 06C, KJVL, KMSN, VPZ, KLAF, 10C