Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got a raise! ....Wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    You work for the wrong company. My 401K allowed me to switch from company stock to a few other investment opportunities, at will. Any time I viewed stock as a potential loser, I could switch to a guaranteed interest source, on a daily basis, if I wished. I was able to dodge a lot of bullets over the years. Wish I still had that option.
    Until someone flies planes into a building and your 401 drops 25-50% in a few days.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by electrician1976 View Post
    I donít have a choice to pay either and at 41, Iím not likely to ever see a dime. Most of the elderly know theyíll die before the music stops and could carr less about those left behind. Someone is going to get screwed. Why is a current recipient any more entitled to SS than I am?
    We're equally entitled if we pay in but those who are retired or near retirement and counting on that money after a lifetime of contributions shouldn't have it taken from them.

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't expect to see a dime of it either and it's wrong that we'll likely get screwed. At least we're wise enough to know that we shouldn't expect that money, so we can plan to not have it when we retire. There will be many unwise people in our generation who haven't planned for it.
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, KPWK, KUGN, KDKB, KENW, KRFD, KDPA, 06C, KJVL, KMSN, VPZ, KLAF, 10C

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    "Someone is going to get screwed so why shouldn't it be those who voted for the politicians who spent the money on other things?"

That would be everyone who votes, since all politicians spend the money on other things. Except Pete. He never votes so I guess he has no responsibility for it.

"What's your Social Security number? 5?"
    And, I'll have you know that only the first two digits of my SS # are 00's. You should see my card. It's actually the limpest thing I have.
    candidate for Put of the month
    For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"Weíve always assumed that you canít bring back the dead. But itís a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Strong Putter Strong Put
    I'm honored, sir. I should be cruelly honest all the time. I'm too old to give a shit what people think.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Strong Putter Strong Put
    Quote Originally Posted by electrician1976 View Post
    Until someone flies planes into a building and your 401 drops 25-50% in a few days.
    Yeah, I remember. I was out of my 401k by then. However, when the stock market opened back up one week later, I jumped in. Made a killing in a week's time. Doesn't have much to do with the cost of tea in China, it's just that you're finding fault with everything. Look for something positive. It's out there.

Social Security is what it is. It's not gonna change any time soon, unfortunately. Don't depend on it; plan around it. If it's still there when your time comes, you'll take it, just like I did, and you'll be glad you've got it, small as it is. Lots of things are like that. The only thing any of you should be pissed at me for, is the fact that I started drawing it at 62; most of you will probably be 70, or so. Now that would hack me off.
    Last edited by Ronny; 12-07-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.