Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a raise! ....Wait!

Database Error Put Master
    I say raise the retirement age to 80.
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

I'll take my chances. Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I say raise the retirement age to 80.
    That's inevitable and even that won't save this mother of all Ponzi schemes. Then there are the tens of millions of people in local Ponzi schemes. It's a disaster of epic proportions and there's nothing anyone can do to stop this from popping.

Remember, the only real safety net the government can provide in the long-run is a concrete floor and if you're lucky you might get to land on someone else's lifeless corpse cushioning your fall.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    It seems rather out of place to chastise SS recipients as being "responsible" for this monumental fiasco. How would you suggest that we/I take responsibility? By the way, you're not the first on this forum to take this position. Most of the members are of a similar mind, as I recall.

There are two obvious solutions. 1. Let it die for lack of funding (good luck electing those politicians), 2. Mandate that recipients die when they reach the age of 65 (current recipients are grandfathered in, of course).

Look at it this way - this is payback for all the "old" jokes.
    Ronny's "grandfathered in" to the Magna Carta.

What's your Social Security number? 5?
    For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"Weíve always assumed that you canít bring back the dead. But itís a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

I don't have much more faith in 401's than I do SS. Every week, I contribute real dollars to my account and whenever we magically have a recession, my real dollars vaporize into some Wall Street fat cat's pockets. I don't think that's an accident. I wish I had a record of every dollar I've ever contributed, every dollar my employers have contributed and see if I'm even above water. Like gas going up 20 cents overnight and taking weeks or months to return, your 401k drops drastically and takes forever to recuperate. Then people will say they've broke even once it returns to the original value, not taking into account the contributions they've made in the meantime.

Just as the oligarchs and corporations have raided SS money from the federal coffers, they've eliminated the middle man and take it from your 401k's.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    I don't criticize people for taking a benefit no matter how much I disagree with the benefit scheme. I'm paying into SS now and you'd better believe I'll take the distributions when I retire. I'd much rather have that money to invest on my own, sure, but since there's a gun to my head to contribute now, I have no choice but to participate.
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, KPWK, KUGN, KDKB, KENW, KRFD, KDPA, 06C, KJVL, KMSN, VPZ, KLAF, 10C

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jon View Post
    I don't criticize people for taking a benefit no matter how much I disagree with the benefit scheme. I'm paying into SS now and you'd better believe I'll take the distributions when I retire. I'd much rather have that money to invest on my own, sure, but since there's a gun to my head to contribute now, I have no choice but to participate.
    The game of musical chairs is great if you have a chair when the music stops. Those who donít get a chair are paying the same admission fee as those that do. Thereís no shortage of contempt from the chaired to the chairless. Keep paying suckers.

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by electrician1976 View Post
    The game of musical chairs is great if you have a chair when the music stops. Those who donít get a chair are paying the same admission fee as those that do. Thereís no shortage of contempt from the chaired to the chairless. Keep paying suckers.
    Those of us who aren't exempt from SS, like those with pensions, have no choice but to pay.
    A mile of road takes you a mile. A mile of runway takes you anywhere.

I have landed an airplane at: 3CK, KPWK, KUGN, KDKB, KENW, KRFD, KDPA, 06C, KJVL, KMSN, VPZ, KLAF, 10C

Strong Putter Strong Put
    "Someone is going to get screwed so why shouldn't it be those who voted for the politicians who spent the money on other things?"

That would be everyone who votes, since all politicians spend the money on other things. Except Pete. He never votes so I guess he has no responsibility for it.

"What's your Social Security number? 5?"
    And, I'll have you know that only the first two digits of my SS # are 00's. You should see my card. It's actually the limpest thing I have.
    Last edited by Ronny; 12-07-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Strong Putter Strong Put
    Quote Originally Posted by electrician1976 View Post
    I don't have much more faith in 401's than I do SS. Every week, I contribute real dollars to my account and whenever we magically have a recession, my real dollars vaporize into some Wall Street fat cat's pockets. I don't think that's an accident. I wish I had a record of every dollar I've ever contributed, every dollar my employers have contributed and see if I'm even above water. Like gas going up 20 cents overnight and taking weeks or months to return, your 401k drops drastically and takes forever to recuperate. Then people will say they've broke even once it returns to the original value, not taking into account the contributions they've made in the meantime.

Just as the oligarchs and corporations have raided SS money from the federal coffers, they've eliminated the middle man and take it from your 401k's.
    You work for the wrong company. My 401K allowed me to switch from company stock to a few other investment opportunities, at will. Any time I viewed stock as a potential loser, I could switch to a guaranteed interest source, on a daily basis, if I wished. I was able to dodge a lot of bullets over the years. Wish I still had that option.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jon View Post
    Those of us who aren't exempt from SS, like those with pensions, have no choice but to pay.
    I donít have a choice to pay either and at 41, Iím not likely to ever see a dime. Most of the elderly know theyíll die before the music stops and could carr less about those left behind. Someone is going to get screwed. Why is a current recipient any more entitled to SS than I am?