Thread: The unexpected beauty of China's bicycle graveyards

The unexpected beauty of China's bicycle graveyards

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/g...es-in-pictures

The unexpected beauty of China's bicycle graveyards – in pictures

For the past 18 months many cities in China have been flooded by millions of dockless share bikes. Those that block pavements or apartment entrances have been removed by authorities to vast storage areas. Viewed from afar they create compelling and mysterious patterns – but also represent waste on an enormous scale.

Pete (finds this rather fascinating)

put-put Put Master
    The color coordination is interesting; you'd think it would be a random jumble.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Strong Putter Strong Put
    I don't think the Chinese do random.
    This is boggling. I don't even begin to understand this business model.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

I'll take my chances. Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    I don't think the Chinese do random.
    This is boggling. I don't even begin to understand this business model.
    The must have went to the Elon Musk/Underpants Gnome school of business.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...cycles/556268/

The Bike-Share Oversupply in China: Huge Piles of Abandoned and Broken Bicycles

Last year, bike sharing took off in China, with dozens of bike-share companies quickly flooding city streets with millions of brightly colored rental bicycles. However, the rapid growth vastly outpaced immediate demand and overwhelmed Chinese cities, where infrastructure and regulations were not prepared to handle a sudden flood of millions of shared bicycles. Riders would park bikes anywhere, or just abandon them, resulting in bicycles piling up and blocking already-crowded streets and pathways. As cities impounded derelict bikes by the thousands, they moved quickly to cap growth and regulate the industry. Vast piles of impounded, abandoned, and broken bicycles have become a familiar sight in many big cities. As some of the companies who jumped in too big and too early have begun to fold, their huge surplus of bicycles can be found collecting dust in vast vacant lots. Bike sharing remains very popular in China, and will likely continue to grow, just probably at a more sustainable rate. Meanwhile, we are left with these images of speculation gone wild—the piles of debris left behind after the bubble bursts.
    Pete (recommends clicking the link and looking at even more photos on that page)

And here's an article from less than a year ago when bike-sharing was booming:

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/a...back-in-china/

Why Bicycles Are Making a Huge Comeback in China

The Flying Pigeon bicycle is the most popular vehicle model in human history, with more than half a billion units deployed. Yet, bicycle use in China had been in steady decline since the 1990s. Indeed, the aspiration of most city-dwelling Chinese has been to own a car, which has contributed to clogged streets and air pollution in first-tier cities. Remarkably, bike-sharing may spell the return of the bicycle in China.

Six months ago, few shared bicycles were on the roads and there were just a few promising signs of adoption. Today, about 500,000 shared bikes are in use in Beijing, with similar penetration in other first-tier cities. At least five separate companies are vying for dominance. Users are crazy about the service. Traffic and subway lines are noticeably better. I’ve never seen adoption of a hardware-based service happen so quickly. What explains this remarkable early success and what does the Chinese experience imply for other cities?
    Pete (marvels at the speed with which this all happened)

It's a big problem in San Diego now too. My brothers live in the gaslamp and they often have to force their outside door open because some drunk douche dropped a bike right in front of their door.
    DEEZ NUTS FOR PRESIDENT!!