Thread: Making History, Saudi Arabia Issues Driverís Licenses to 10 Women

Making History, Saudi Arabia Issues Driverís Licenses to 10 Women

Saudi Arabia issued driverís licenses to 10 women on Monday, a historic move that came 20 days before the government had planned to lift its longstanding ban on women driving.

The surprise announcement followed the detention of a number of Saudis who had campaigned for womenís right to drive. Some are still being held and have been accused of grave crimes that the government has said sought to ďundermine the security and stability of the kingdom.Ē

The lifting of the driving ban was championed by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, a son of the Saudi king. Prince Mohammed has ordered a number of changes that seek to diversify the kingdomís oil-dependent economy and improve life for Saudis.

Many Saudis have applauded what they say are efforts to make life in their ultraconservative kingdom more like life elsewhere. But Prince Mohammedís critics say the changes have come with a heavy dose of authoritarianism that has further restricted Saudisí already limited margins for expression.

Along with opening commercial movie theaters and promoting womenís employment, Prince Mohammed has arrested scores of clerics, businessmen and some of his own royal relatives. Dozens of members of the royal family and wealthy businessmen were locked in the Riyadh Ritz-Carlton last year, accused of corruption and pressed to turn over many of their assets to the government.

It was not immediately clear why the 10 women received their driverís licenses on Monday, 20 days before the official lifting of the ban, or whether that meant that the driving ban had in effect been lifted early.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/04/w...-article-click
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

There's probably a really funny joke here somewhere, but I'm too slow to find it.

Pete (ingests coffee)

Why do they need a driver's license?

There's no road between the kitchen and the laundry room.

skooly (stole that via Google)
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.