Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee store puts 'No Gays Allowed' sign back up after Supreme Court cake ruling

Ow! My Balls! Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plezercruz View Post
    What a strange world it would be if we just let people choose for themselves!

Pete (can't imagine how that could possibly work)
    The horror! People choosing for themselves? Idiots being allowed to advertise their small-minded bigotry so everyone else can know not to give them their money? How could any of that ever work?

Steve (notes the irony of the anti-gun crowd really loving to put guns to everyone's heads for everything)
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by dusty View Post
    As I understand the Cake Store decision, one factor the majority found material was that the cake store did NOT ban the gay couple from shopping there.
    As I understand it, they told them they could buy anything in the store -- the baker just wasn't going to make them a custom cake for their gay wedding celebration.

Putting a "no gays allowed" sign on the window of the hardware store seems less likely to be justified by this Court (meaning, by Justice Kennedy).

dusty (notes that another fact described as material by the SCOTUS decision was that gay marriage was not legal in Colorado when the incident occurred)
    My reading of that case led me to think the Court focused more on the conduct of the authorities in that matter and the finding that they were actively antagonistic to religion than the conduct of the cake store itself. That is, if the authorities were even handed, they might not have found for the cake store owner.

Pete (thinks that case is very limited to its particular facts)

Quote Originally Posted by Plezercruz View Post
    My reading of that case led me to think the Court focused more on the conduct of the authorities in that matter and the finding that they were actively antagonistic to religion than the conduct of the cake store itself. That is, if the authorities were even handed, they might not have found for the cake store owner.

Pete (thinks that case is very limited to its particular facts)
    Absolutely.
    For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"Weíve always assumed that you canít bring back the dead. But itís a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will be judged by the color of their skin, not by the content of their character."

- Martin Libertarian King, Jr.
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

put-put Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skooly View Post
    "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will be judged by the color of their skin, not by the content of their character."

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ĖMark Twain

Ow! My Balls! Put Master

Yes, your hatred of freedom and love of the statist nanny has been duly noted. No need to keep bashing everyone over the head with it. Your constant insulting mischaracterizations of people who believe they have a right to be free and not be threatened by your mob with force and violence have turned this site from a joy to look forward to into a chore to be avoided.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Claiming to support equality without any meaningful legal mechanism is meaningless lip service and/or pie-in-the-sky naivete.

Claiming to support equality without any meaningful legal mechanism is meaningless lip service and/or pie-in-the-sky naivete.
    The supposedly greatest and freest country on earth forced and enshrined racism into law for about 2 centuries. A government big enough to institutionalize racism is surely big enough to legislate against racism. Where were all the small government conservatives on this issue prior to 1965?

Quote Originally Posted by electrician1976 View Post
    The supposedly greatest and freest country on earth forced and enshrined racism into law for about 2 centuries. A government big enough to institutionalize racism is surely big enough to legislate against racism. Where were all the small government conservatives on this issue prior to 1965?
    I'm sure they were waiting for the Free Market to take care of it.

If private discrimination was allowed to exist in ways that impacted commerce (like housing, lodging, retail, finance, employment, etc.) there would probably be large swaths of the Deep South and Midwest that would be largely inhospitable and unlivable for minorities, which creates wide scale disenfranchisement and social unrest.

Sorry, but the free market was incapable of solving it on its own and needed the force of law to make it happen.