Thread: U.S. Opposition to Breast-Feeding Resolution Stuns World Health Officials

U.S. Opposition to Breast-Feeding Resolution Stuns World Health Officials

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/h...dor-trump.html

U.S. Opposition to Breast-Feeding Resolution Stuns World Health Officials

A resolution to encourage breast-feeding was expected to be approved quickly and easily by the hundreds of government delegates who gathered this spring in Geneva for the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly.

Based on decades of research, the resolution says that mother’s milk is healthiest for children and countries should strive to limit the inaccurate or misleading marketing of breast milk substitutes.

Then the United States delegation, embracing the interests of infant formula manufacturers, upended the deliberations.

American officials sought to water down the resolution by removing language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breast-feeding” and another passage that called on policymakers to restrict the promotion of food products that many experts say can have deleterious effects on young children.
    Pete (has mixed feelings about this)

put-put Put Master
    Sounds like Trump helping out his buddies.

That said, formula was invented for a very good reason, and it can literally be a life-saver.

My first kid was almost exclusively formula fed, and he's doing great.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Why does the WHA have to tell us which way is best?

Pete (isn't happy about any of this)

Quote Originally Posted by Plezercruz View Post
    Why does the WHA have to tell us which way is best?

Pete (isn't happy about any of this)
    Same reason everyone must inform you they're vegan, do cross fit, yada, yada.

Ow! My Balls! Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by electrician1976 View Post
    Same reason everyone must inform you they're vegan, do cross fit, yada, yada.
    Am I paying for those people?
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken