Thread: Trumps Wants NATO Members to Up Their Spending to 4% GDP on Military

Resident Black Man Great Put

Trumps Wants NATO Members to Up Their Spending to 4% GDP on Military

President Donald Trump on Wednesday suggested NATO leaders increase their defense spending to 4% -- doubling the 2% target that many NATO countries have yet to meet.

"During the President's remarks today at the NATO summit he suggested that countries not only meet their commitment of 2% of their GDP on defense spending, but that they increase it to 4%," White House press secretary Sarah Sanders confirmed in a statement.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/11/polit...ing/index.html

Idiotic. We don't even spend that much.

We actually have historically:

The Clinton and Obama admins are actually the aberration in that they both took us below 4%. Bush pushed back on Clinton and got us to nearly 5% again.

Pete (thinks Trump is telling us we're going to spend more under his adminstration too)
    Last edited by Plezercruz; 07-12-2018 at 08:29 AM.

I meant as a contribution to NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutnupe14 View Post
    I meant as a contribution to NATO.
    I was under the impression that Trump was just asking them to spend more money on their own defense.

Pete (might have just assumed that incorrectly)

Strong Putter Strong Put
    Believe Pete is correct, again. He's asking that they go to 4% of their own GDP for defense.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Strong Putter Strong Put
    I agree with Trump in sentiment if not actual numbers. Why should the USA subsidize Europe's defense budget via treaty?

Quote Originally Posted by cart213 View Post
    I agree with Trump in sentiment if not actual numbers. Why should the USA subsidize Europe's defense budget via treaty?
    Because the US wants to be a world power? I tired of us talking out of both sides of our mouth. We can't proudly claim to be a superpower one day, touting our global reach, and then badmouth the spending of the nation's that allow us naval, air, and army bases on their soil; allowing us to have our status. It would do for me to be Merkel. When Trump talks shit, I would say "fine, you got 90 days to get your shit out of my country."

Because the US wants to be a world power? I tired of us talking out of both sides of our mouth. We can't proudly claim to be a superpower one day, touting our global reach, and then badmouth the spending of the nation's that allow us naval, air, and army bases on their soil; allowing us to have our status. It would do for me to be Merkel. When Trump talks shit, I would say "fine, you got 90 days to get your shit out of my country."
    Even if Europe upped its contribution to 2% in every country, the USA would still comprise about 75% of the military spending in NATO.

Pete (approximates that the GDP of Europe is about the same as the USA and we spend well over twice as much as they would)

Quote Originally Posted by cart213 View Post

put-put Put Master
    bye!
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain