Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: New Sacha Baron Cohen program

Ow! My Balls! Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Believe it or not the tienaman square protest did effect change. Yes it cost lives, but they were lives given, not taken by the protestors and that strengthened their movement.

But go on confirming your own biases.
    So your argument is that passive martyrdom is preferable and those who disagree are the ones biased? When did you become a good Christian?
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Why didnít the tanks just run him over?
    For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"Weíve always assumed that you canít bring back the dead. But itís a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Ow! My Balls! Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty View Post
    How do you know they didn't?
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
    How do you know they didn't?
    because I saw it on TV. The tanks stopped. He climbed on the tanks, then back down. They tried to go around him but he kept adjusting so they couldn't. Eventually, 2 people ran out and hurried him away from the tanks and out of the street. From my view it seemed he was very willing to run off with them.

dusty (notes the official Chinese position is they have no idea if he was ever arrested)
    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"Weíve always assumed that you canít bring back the dead. But itís a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Quote Originally Posted by dusty View Post
    I've always wondered this but never thought of the answer until now. After some more research tonight it finally hit me.

They didn't run him over because they were done. It was the day after they had violently cleared the square. That column of tanks was rolling out to go back to base. That's why there's nobody around; the protests and the people had been cleared the prior day.

The day before, the protestors blocking the roads, sitting with arms locked (probably the same tactics they've been using in Chicago recently), the reports are they were run over by the military (and also shot), and their blood subsequently hosed into the gutters. The soldiers had been told they were breaking up something between a violent riot and an upstart Civil War (and possibly they were) so they were ready to dole out all the deadly force as they had been trained to do. But that operation was over and they were looking for a clean retreat at this point, and this was just one kid on an empty road. They didn't know what to do.

The other thing about looking this up now, is running into all the conspiracy people out there who insist he was run over, and that the footage to the contrary only proves "the Mandela effect" -- that experimentation at CERN (or something) has shifted us into an alternative dimension where recorded history doesn't match our memories which were formed prior to the dimensional shift. Oy!

For the record, I always remember that he wasn't run over.

dusty (thinks he was pretty close to getting shot just before he was rushed away)
    Last edited by dusty; 08-08-2018 at 12:35 AM.

Ow! My Balls! Put Master
    Don't you mean the Mengele Effect Dusty?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
    Don't you mean the Mengele Effect Dusty?
    haha
    how is the new x-files?