Thread: Weight Loss

Weight Loss

Just Jon asked in the other thread I posted in so I thought I'd start a new thread here.

I was up to 250# at 5'8" this spring. Over my last couple physicals, my blood work came back pretty bad. I was in the beginning stages of fatty liver disease and pre diabetic. I was pretty much resigned to living out my days like that. I've started traveling a lot and have a trip booked for Hawaii this Christmas. I called to make reservations for a helicopter tour and I was on the verge of being to heavy to fly. I finally decided I'd had enough.

I work in a factory for 10 hour shifts and some days are very sedentary. I was eating way too much junk and snacking way too much in between meals. I was eating McDonald's breakfast 2-4 days a week. I was drinking at least a liter of soda a day and in my prime, I could drink it by the gallon. I cut the soda completely out and started drinking Slim Fast shakes for breakfast. I'm eating a lot more salads and vegetable and cut out all the junk. I cut way down on carbs and stopped eating almost all cheese (a slice of Jimmy Johns cheese is 100 calories and you don't even know it's gone). I'm trying to keep my calorie count under 2000 a day but I'm not actually counting calories. I'm not doing the Keto diet or religiously counting calories because I don't want a diet that I'm not going to maintain. My brother yo yo's off of on Keto all the time. While he's on it, he posts high carb recipes on facebook that he's going to binge on when he goes off of it.

I have a route in my plant that I walk 4 to 5 times a shift that is 1.2 miles. I also bought a $50 treadmill and $50 Bowflex off of Facebook marketplace that I've been using at home. According to my Apple Watch, I've been walking an average of 5-10 miles a day.

Once I get down to my goal weight, it will just be a matter of deciding how much exercise I want to do vs what I eat. In the past, I'd sit down and eat 3 chili dogs. Now, it will be 1 and healthier options to go with. I've dropped nearly 50# in the last 2.5 months and I want to go at least another 25#. The biggest motivator is not letting my weight interfere with my enjoyment in life now. I've set a big goal of doing a rim to rim hike in the Grand Canyon next June. I've just started my training (yesterday was the first hike and my run in with the cop). If I do well enough, I may do the rim to rim to rim hike while I'm there. It's 24 miles from the North Rim to Bright Angel Trailhead to the North Kaibab Trailhead and nearly 20 miles from the South Kaibab Trailhead to the North Kaibab Trailhead. 44 miles in 2 days.

Keep it up !

My 66 year old father and I went on a trip to Costa Rica in June. He is 5'10" and maybe around 250 pounds. You could tell on the long days being active it slowed him down. I got a little heavy last year and have lost about 20 pounds. I am 5'10 and about 185 pounds. I would like to be in the 170's but my love of beer and wine make that a hard barrier to cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Danisr1 View Post
    Keep it up !

My 66 year old father and I went on a trip to Costa Rica in June. He is 5'10" and maybe around 250 pounds. You could tell on the long days being active it slowed him down. I got a little heavy last year and have lost about 20 pounds. I am 5'10 and about 185 pounds. I would like to be in the 170's but my love of beer and wine make that a hard barrier to cross.
    I've given up the liquid bread too except for the few I had on vacation. Even with all the crap I ate and 4000 miles in the seat of a truck for 12 days, I still managed to lose a half a pound.

Great job, keep up the great work. Diet is like 70% of it. It may get harder to continue losing more -- and to maintain what you lost -- because the body fights like Hell to put it back on... but we're rooting for ya.
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Ow! My Balls! Put Master
    I'm afraid to step on a scale.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by skooly View Post
    Great job, keep up the great work. Diet is like 70% of it. It may get harder to continue losing more -- and to maintain what you lost -- because the body fights like Hell to put it back on... but we're rooting for ya.
    I dropped the first 30 in a month. I know thatís the low hanging fruit. I know cutting out soda made a huge difference. I figured I get paid to sit on my ass at work, I might as well get paid to walk.

Soda is tough , the regular stuff is so high in sugar and calories, the Dt will give you cancer.....

I take unsweet tea and just put a little bit of lemonade in it, and that seems to work for me. The Arizona light Arnold palmer isn't bad either.

Strong Putter Strong Put
    I've lost about 1,185 lbs over my life. Of course, I've gained 1,230. It is the story of my life. I'm 255 now and am having trouble losing. When I was younger, I could drop 20-30 lbs pretty easily.

If I could give you guys any advice, it would be "lose it now, and keep it off". The older you get, the harder it is to do. And, the more it adversely affects your life. That's OK, you don't owe me anything.

One more piece of advice - don't drink soft drinks, sugary or diet.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

I don't like losing.

Pete (is a winner)