Thread: Airline backlash: Are Americans flying less (or not at all)?

Airline backlash: Are Americans flying less (or not at all)?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ing/591592002/

Airline backlash: Are Americans flying less (or not at all)?

As I’ve chronicled here time and again, I’m an unabashed aviation geek, a former airline employee and someone who has spent his entire adult life working in, writing about and advocating on the airline industry. But flying stopped being fun quite some time ago.

Among 120 respondents, 99 said they are taking fewer flights, down from 18.7 business trips on average in 2012 to 11.7 in 2017, an overall reduction of 37.4%. The chief reasons cited by that 83% who said their flying was reduced:

* Air travel is more difficult or stressful: 43%

* My job requires less travel: 29%

* Airline industry consolidation (e.g., fewer non-stops, reduced flight frequencies and/or hub closures): 5%

* Other reasons: 24%

The USTA survey enlightens by breaking down what fliers say is getting worse:

* 60% cite airline fees

* 51% say overall cost

* 47% blame “airport hassles” — long lines, crowded terminals, etc.

Erik Hansen, USTA’s senior director of domestic policy, quantifies it: “Americans avoided 32 million trips last year because of air travel hassles, costing the U.S. economy more than $24 billion in spending.”
    Pete (used to love flying, sometimes travelling just on impulse, but thinks those days are long gone)

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    The seats are small, the TSA violates our rights and our dignity, and security lines are real hassle.

I plan to buy an airplane, if Jen let's me, and then we can fly ourselves to places. Sure, we can't go as far, but with an instrument license, we can take much more convenient trips. I can fly us to Columbus, OH to visit her brother FASTER than it would take to fly commercial when you factor in all of the time from door to door and compare them directly that way. The flight would take twice as long, but the trip to O'Hare takes longer, as well as getting through security and waiting for the airliner to actually get into the air.
    I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

put-put Put Master
    I have family in Hawaii. Until somebody designs a light craft that can reliably fly from California to Maui with six people and luggage in less than, say, six or seven hours, I'm stuck with commercial flights. But not very often.

I used to love flying; now it's a huge pain, and i don't like the idea of normalizing my kids to the idea of being searched just to travel.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Ow! My Balls! Put Master
    I haven't been on a commercial flight in over a decade.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Database Error Put Master
    I just wish I could easily bring gluten free food with me given that it’s impossible to find in most airports or on most airplanes, but TSA inevitably has to take my stuff apart because of it.

I travel a lot for work these days.
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

Ow! My Balls! Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I just wish I could easily bring gluten free food with me given that it’s impossible to find in most airports or on most airplanes, but TSA inevitably has to take my stuff apart because of it.

I travel a lot for work these days.
    I read on Alex Jones almost all the 9/11 terrorists were gluten free.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I have family in Hawaii. Until somebody designs a light craft that can reliably fly from California to Maui with six people and luggage in less than, say, six or seven hours, I'm stuck with commercial flights. But not very often.

I used to love flying; now it's a huge pain, and i don't like the idea of normalizing my kids to the idea of being searched just to travel.
    There are plenty of small jets that can do that.

virtual meetings eliminated the need for a lot of business trips too.

put-put Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jon View Post
    There are plenty of small jets that can do that.
    Yeah, but i don't have 25 million dollars to spend on a jet.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Needs your put
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Yeah, but i don't have 25 million dollars to spend on a jet.
    You can get a capable jet for a few million less than that.