Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: As a Nation Mourns McCain, Trump Is Conspicuously Absent

As a Nation Mourns McCain, Trump Is Conspicuously Absent

As leaders of both political parties and foreign dignitaries publicly mourned John McCain on Sunday, President Trump conspicuously avoided a national moment of tribute to a senator whose death seemed to be its own metaphor for the demise of civility and unity in the Trump era.

The president did not make even the most cursory public show of respect on Sunday for Mr. McCain, against whom he had continued to indulge a personal grievance even as it was apparent that the Arizona Republican was losing his battle with brain cancer. The president spent much of the day golfing and attacking his usual enemies on Twitter.

It was the start of what promises to be a difficult week for Mr. Trump. Mr. McCain quietly declared before his death that he did not want Mr. Trump to take part in his funeral, a decision that will render the president a virtual pariah as the senator is eulogized by former presidents and other luminaries as a principled war hero and dedicated public servant.

But more than just the culmination of a political feud, the specter of Mr. Trump’s highly visible absence from Mr. McCain’s funeral on Saturday morning at Washington National Cathedral underscored the degree to which the president has veered from the norms of his office, unwilling to act as a unifying force at major moments in the life of the country.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/26/u...imes&smtyp=cur
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Last edited by skooly; 08-27-2018 at 08:26 AM.
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Amazing seeing these great American, patriotic Church of Trump members worshipping a 5 time draft deferment recipient while trashing McCain's service.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/whit...ry?id=57422250

White House returns flag to full-staff less than 48 hours after John McCain's death

An ABC News camera captured the flag as officials returned it to full-staff around midnight, ABC News senior White House correspondent Cecilia Vega told “Good Morning America” host George Stephanopoulos Monday.

The flag-lowering that lasted less than 48 hours breaks from precedent that it is lowered until burial.
    Pete (heard on the radio this morning that 2 days is standard unless extended by the President, which apparently did not happen)

put-put Put Master
    It's very apparent that there's little association between class and money. Not that there was much doubt in this guy's case.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Database Error Put Master
    What Possible value could there be for this guy continuing to shit on McCain?

he's such a dumb sack of shit, it drives me nuts.
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

I don't think Trump would have ordered the flags raised...

...but I do think when asked if he wanted to affirmatively keep them lowered, his response was something like, "No, fuck that guy."

Pete (wonders how quickly McCain's seat gets repopulated)

If it’s not about Trump, Trump doesn’t give a f*ck.
    “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less travelled by.” -Robert Frost

I try not to put too much bad mojo out there. It’s not like I’m glad McCain has passed...but damn, think of how much safer this world is without that war monger. Imagine the “kinetic missions” we’d be involved in had he won in ‘08. I don’t get this revisionist history and worship of politicians on social media as if they’re deities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
    I'm a lot more worried about the commies running DC than I am about commies half way around the world.

When they say he's a war hero, the meant a hero to wars, not just a hero of war.

Pete (thinks McCain never met a war he didn't like)