Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: As a Nation Mourns McCain, Trump Is Conspicuously Absent

Ow! My Balls! Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skooly View Post
    McCain was hawkish on foreign policy, including the Iraq War (which all our resident libertarian friends loved, btw), but it's not like he made the call single-handedly. If anyone deserves blame, it's GW. At least McCain wasn't a chicken hawk like the rest of the neocon administration--he didn't ask any soldier to do what he himself had not already done. Moreover, he lived by a code of honor and civility that is a rarity in today's political climate. Our country would be immeasurably better off under a McCain presidency than under the current disgrace in chief.
    How many wars has Trump started?
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

This is a fraction of the story from Rolling Stone article on 10/16/08.

This is the story of the real John McCain, the one who has been hiding in plain sight. It is the story of a man who has consistently put his own advancement above all else, a man willing to say and do anything to achieve his ultimate ambition: to become commander in chief, ascending to the one position that would finally enable him to outrank his four-star father and grandfather.

In its broad strokes, McCain’s life story is oddly similar to that of the current occupant of the White House. John Sidney McCain III and George Walker Bush both represent the third generation of American dynasties. Both were born into positions of privilege against which they rebelled into mediocrity. Both developed an uncanny social intelligence that allowed them to skate by with a minimum of mental exertion. Both struggled with booze and loutish behavior. At each step, with the aid of their fathers’ powerful friends, both failed upward. And both shed their skins as Episcopalian members of the Washington elite to build political careers as self-styled, ranch-inhabiting Westerners who pray to Jesus in their wives’ evangelical churches.
    In one vital respect, however, the comparison is deeply unfair to the current president: George W. Bush was a much better pilot.

This, of course, is not the story McCain tells about himself. Few politicians have so actively, or successfully, crafted their own myth of greatness. In McCain’s version of his life, he is a prodigal son who, steeled by his brutal internment in Vietnam, learned to put “country first.” Remade by the Keating Five scandal that nearly wrecked his career, the story goes, McCain re-emerged as a “reformer” and a “maverick,” righteously eschewing anything that “might even tangentially be construed as a less than proper use of my office.”
    It’s a myth McCain has cultivated throughout his decades in Washington. But during the course of this year’s campaign, the mask has slipped. “Let’s face it,” says Larry Wilkerson, a retired Army colonel who served as chief of staff to Secretary of State Colin Powell. “John McCain made his reputation on the fact that he doesn’t bend his principles for politics. That’s just not true.”
    https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...verick-202004/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
    I'm a lot more worried about the commies running DC than I am about commies half way around the world.

How many wars has Trump started?
    How many did McCain start?
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzardmountain View Post
    I try not to put too much bad mojo out there. It’s not like I’m glad McCain has passed...but damn, think of how much safer this world is without that war monger. Imagine the “kinetic missions” we’d be involved in had he won in ‘08. I don’t get this revisionist history and worship of politicians on social media as if they’re deities.
    This is rich. Robin, you were a huge supporter of the Iraq war. Remember how many times you criticized me for “not supporting the troops” because I opposed that war? Revisionist history indeed.
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Ow! My Balls! Put Master
    How many did McCain start?
    Given the position of the Presidency and his history I can only imagine what he would have got us into.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

This is rich. Robin, you were a huge supporter of the Iraq war. Remember how many times you criticized me for “not supporting the troops” because I opposed that war? Revisionist history indeed.
    I was a disgusting team cheerleader like you continue to be...

Edit: Not that it really matters to the discussion, but, I don’t remember ever criticizing you for “not supporting the troops”. That doesn’t seem like something I’d say...even given the party loyal cheerleader I was.
    Last edited by buzzardmountain; 09-04-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    I'm a lot more worried about the commies running DC than I am about commies half way around the world.

I am curious what people wanted the American response to 9/11 to be?

Pete (gets that Iraq was the "wrong" country, but isn't sure there was a right one)

Quote Originally Posted by Plezercruz View Post
    I am curious what people wanted the American response to 9/11 to be?

Pete (gets that Iraq was the "wrong" country, but isn't sure there was a right one)
    i could say 15/19ths of our attention should have been on Saudi Arabia
    For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Ow! My Balls! Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty View Post
    i could say 15/19ths of our attention should have been on Saudi Arabia
    Except they have us by the balls with the petrodollar:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-s-debt-secret

Steve (knows we have an oil backed dollar and if anyone threatens that we fuck them up)

Except they have us by the balls with the petrodollar:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-s-debt-secret

Steve (knows we have an oil backed dollar and if anyone threatens that we fuck them up)
    Yeah and the team that was in the WH back then totally love it.
    For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee