Thread: Russia propose raising retirement age above life expectancy

Russia propose raising retirement age above life expectancy

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-44495136

Russia propose raising retirement age above life expectancy

Why have a pension if you would not live long enough to receive it?

This is the question Russian people are asking after the Moscow government increased the male retirement age to two years above the average life expectancy.

The proposals - including an increase of VAT to 20% - came as many Russians were watching their national team beat Saudi Arabia 5-0 in the opening game of the World Cup, with social media users criticising the timing of the announcement.

Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev proposed increasing the pension age for men from 60 to 65 years old, and increasing the pension age for women from 55 to 63 years old.

The draft legislation was discussed in the Russian cabinet on Thursday, with many pointing out on social media it would make retirement age higher than the average male life expectancy in Russia.

According to data firm World Bank, only 57% of Russian males are expected to live past 65 - a figure which has not changed in the past 50 years. In contrast, women are expected to live to 75.
    Pete (thinks that's one way to solve your financial problems)

put-put Put Master
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Russia

This article correlates suicide with alcohol abuse, but i have read other sources that surest that suicide rates are lower among those who drink heavily than those who don't.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Ow! My Balls! Put Master
    Sounds like Putin is taking a page from America and the way Social Security works for African Americans.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Oh, look who is suddenly so concerned about African Americans!
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

In Putin’s Russia, life retires you!
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Ow! My Balls! Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skooly View Post
    Oh, look who is suddenly so concerned about African Americans!
    I'm concerned about all people and not just groups of people based on how they can be exploited for.political reasons.
    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

put-put Put Master
    Can i opt-out and get a refund on my social security donations, please?

Jared (waiting for 2034)
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain