Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is California Becoming Unlivable?

Is California Becoming Unlivable?

https://newrepublic.com/article/1509...climate-change

Is California Becoming Unlivable?

Of all the advice my mother’s given me, she’s repeated three things most often: Don’t walk alone at night. Avoid processed food. And don’t ever move to California.

In the last three months, the state’s extreme wildfires and heat waves have endangered millions of residents’ health and safety, and killed at least eight. At the same time, scientists published several papers asserting those events only stand to get worse over time. My mother was wrong about the “big one”—scientists don’t think California will actually fall into the ocean when it happens—but Wednesday’s 4.4-magnitude shock in Los Angeles is a reminder of the very real earthquake threat.

California is already a fairly risky place to live compared to the rest of the country. It contains eight of the ten most air-polluted cities in the United States; air pollution can trigger asthma and premature death, and research published Monday shows it can reduce intelligence, too. California also ranks number one on U.S. News and World Report’s list of disaster-prone states, with 281 major natural disasters since 1953. (Texas and Oklahoma are second and third, with 255 and 173 disasters, respectively.)
    Pete (heard about this on the radio this morning and posted it up)

put-put Put Master
    4.4? Really? That's trivial, barely perceptible.

And let's not forget all of the natural disasters we don't get, like hurricanes, tornados, sinkholes, blizzards, snow, New York, and swamps.

Admittedly, we do have a nasty case of math-illiterate liberals, so the state fiances are in terrible shape and getting worse.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Snow is a natural disaster that lasts 6 months every year.
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    4.4? Really? That's trivial, barely perceptible.

And let's not forget all of the natural disasters we don't get, like hurricanes, tornados, sinkholes, blizzards, snow, New York, and swamps.

Admittedly, we do have a nasty case of math-illiterate liberals, so the state fiances are in terrible shape and getting worse.
    The author was on the radio this morning. She told me that "millions of square acres" of California have been burned this summer.

Pete (thinks it's safe to say she can't do math)

Quote Originally Posted by skooly View Post
    Snow is a natural disaster that lasts 6 months every year.
    Every damned year.

Pete (is already having anxiety)

Strong Putter Strong Put
    California's disasters that really matter aren't natural. They're completely man-made.

I spent a week back in the 80's working in downtown San Francisco, When I returned back to the office in OKC, our Home Office asked me if I would like to transfer to San Francisco. I asked them if they were trying to get me to quit. I threw a lot of money away that day and haven't looked back.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    California's disasters that really matter aren't natural. They're completely man-made.

I spent a week back in the 80's working in downtown San Francisco, When I returned back to the office in OKC, our Home Office asked me if I would like to transfer to San Francisco. I asked them if they were trying to get me to quit. I threw a lot of money away that day and haven't looked back.
    Yup, like all those uncontrollable fires, from man-made global warming.
    For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

Funny...

...all these places with uncontrollable wildfires...

...I sure wish I lived there.

Pete (mishandled his life somehow to still live here)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    Was it like Country Mouse in the Big City?
    "I guess I just hate the fact there is public property at all." - Mr. Raceboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Plezercruz View Post
    The author was on the radio this morning. She told me that "millions of square acres" of California have been burned this summer.

Pete (thinks it's safe to say she can't do math)
    What’s a square acre? She could be on the metric system.

dusty (has the burn area in 2018 in CA at 1.25 million acres per Wikipedia)
    For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee