Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: US Open 2018: Serena Williams' claims of sexism backed by WTA

Quote Originally Posted by electrician1976 View Post
    Not something I would have done. Iím a non confrontational person. But I do get angry when someone attacks my character. Apparently it crossed her line. Thereís no doubt in my mind that sheís getting the backlash sheís because of who she is.
    She just straw-manned an imaginary attack on her character. The official issued a warning because he saw her coach giving hand signals. Itís no more an attack on character than issuing a foul in basketball. Itís just the rules of the game.
    For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

"Weíve always assumed that you canít bring back the dead. But itís a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

There's no doubt in my mind that Serena has experienced a buttload of racism and sexism in her life, but that doesn't mean she can cry wolf whenever she wants to. THIS incident wasn't sexist, and this judge is getting pilloried for no good reason.

Pete (also thinks that the recent leftist dogma that you should always support accusers in these kinds of matters is starting to wear very very thin)

Database Error Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plezercruz View Post
    Pete (also thinks that the recent leftist dogma that you should always support accusers in these kinds of matters is starting to wear very very thin)
    Particularly when the entire incident was televised and can be readily reaxamined ad nauseum.
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

What if her opponent was not of a mixed race?

Database Error Put Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Danisr1 View Post
    What if her opponent was not of a mixed race?
    I'm still confused about how a competition between two women had sexism as an issue.
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I'm still confused about how a competition between two women had sexism as an issue.
    Well, the judge was male, and Serena tried to make it about how judges treat men v. how judges treat women.

Pete (is sure it was never about the opponent)