Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: US Open 2018: Serena Williams' claims of sexism backed by WTA

  1. #1

    US Open 2018: Serena Williams' claims of sexism backed by WTA

    https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/45468290

    US Open 2018: Serena Williams' claims of sexism backed by WTA

    Serena Williams' claims of sexism in the US Open final have been backed by the governing body of women's tennis.

    WTA chief executive Steve Simon said the umpire showed Williams a different level of tolerance over Saturday's outbursts than if she had been a man.

    She got a code violation for coaching, a penalty point for racquet abuse and a game penalty for calling the umpire a "thief" in the defeat by Naomi Osaka.

    The American said it was "sexist" to have been penalized a game.
    For those not paying attention, Williams had a meltdown during her loss to 20-year old Naomi Osaka. Among other transgressions, she repeatedly slammed her racquet and verbally assaulted the judge, calling him a liar and a thief. She received 3 penalties, including a full-game penalty, and dropped the match in two sets.

    Pete (would post video but he can't seem to manage that at work)

  2. #2
    put-put Put Master
    Jared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sitting in my corner
    Posts
    16,981
    She's been evolving from a world-class tennis player into a bratty diva over the last ten years or so. Yeah, she was the best tennis player in the world for a while, but now that that's changing, she's turning up the bitch factor.

    McEnroe, anybody?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

  3. #3
    While I don’t disagree Serena escalated this when she should have shut her mouth, I also don’t disagree with her point. Go look for footage of plenty of men players who have gone off on the chair judge (most recently Djokovic at the French Open with the SAME chair judge)kicked tennis balls etc. and gotten no penalty at all. There is a plethora out there...there is something more to this.
    Last edited by Tnnisace73; 09-10-2018 at 09:26 PM.
    “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less travelled by.” -Robert Frost

  4. #4
    I imagine it has a lot to do with her willingness to stay on the plantation. Don’t mean this in a racial context. Most people like all races, sexes, cultures, etc so long as you stay inside the cute little box they create for you. Step out of that box and the world hates you.

  5. #5
    Martina Navratilova: What Serena Got Wrong -
    “Just because the guys might be able to get away with it doesn’t mean it’s acceptable.”

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/10/o...s-us-open.html
    For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

    "We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Plezercruz View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/45468290



    For those not paying attention, Williams had a meltdown during her loss to 20-year old Naomi Osaka. Among other transgressions, she repeatedly slammed her racquet and verbally assaulted the judge, calling him a liar and a thief. She received 3 penalties, including a full-game penalty, and dropped the match in two sets.

    Pete (would post video but he can't seem to manage that at work)
    here it is

    For every ailment under the sun - There is a remedy, or there is none;
    If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it. -- Mother Goose

    "We’ve always assumed that you can’t bring back the dead. But it’s a matter of when you pickle the cells." -- Peter Rhee

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty View Post
    Martina Navratilova: What Serena Got Wrong -
    “Just because the guys might be able to get away with it doesn’t mean it’s acceptable.”

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/10/o...s-us-open.html
    Her biggest crime is not “knowing her place”.

    I used to be as big of a sexist as anyone. Having a daughter has changed my views immensely. Even a couple years ago, I would have been complaining too about the elimination of the swimsuit portion of the Miss America pageant. To those complaining now, I say submit pictures of your wives and daughters in swimsuits for all to scrutinize or fondle themselves to.

    As I’ve gotten older and the longer I’ve been married, I find helplessness to be an ugly trait.
    We discourage women from taking charge and taking care of themselves.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by electrician1976 View Post
    Her biggest crime is not “knowing her place”.

    I used to be as big of a sexist as anyone. Having a daughter has changed my views immensely. Even a couple years ago, I would have been complaining too about the elimination of the swimsuit portion of the Miss America pageant. To those complaining now, I say submit pictures of your wives and daughters in swimsuits for all to scrutinize or fondle themselves to.

    As I’ve gotten older and the longer I’ve been married, I find helplessness to be an ugly trait.
    We discourage women from taking charge and taking care of themselves.
    So...

    ...you're supposed to insult and berate your judge in a tennis match? As a matter of equality?

    Pete (tries to connect the dots here)

  9. #9
    Serena was out of line. She got only warned and went off on the umpire. The umpire wasn't having it and Serena should have realized it and kept playing. Serena is the best female tennis player of all time, it was a bad day for her.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Plezercruz View Post
    So...

    ...you're supposed to insult and berate your judge in a tennis match? As a matter of equality?

    Pete (tries to connect the dots here)
    Not something I would have done. I’m a non confrontational person. But I do get angry when someone attacks my character. Apparently it crossed her line. There’s no doubt in my mind that she’s getting the backlash she’s because of who she is.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •