"Curiosity" probe set to land on Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It made it down safely.

The one-tonne vehicle, known as Curiosity, was reported to have landed in a deep crater near the planet's equator at 06:32 BST (05:32 GMT).
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19144464
    I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Probe.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." –Mark Twain

Comment

First pics from probe out:

(via George Takei's FB page)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Tnnisace73; 08-07-2012, 11:21 AM.
        “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less travelled by.” -Robert Frost

Comment

$2.6 Billion. And that's not counting the supporting programs.

Pete (thinks nobody is a cost-cutter who approves this kind of spending)

Comment

Most Americans see when probes land, and the feel great about it. But what percentage of us actually even explores the data? I'd say I'm far more interested in space exploration than the average person, and I barely even read much detail on it. I once plotted the 3D surface data for fun, but I could have just as well plotted a fractal. I got no specific Mars info from it.

How much does this really cost, and what amazing discoveries have resulted so far?

I don't think there's any evidence of life, which they say is the main goal. I would have guessed there was never life on Mars, anyhow. In fact, remember a few years ago, when they found rocks on earth they said were from Mars, with evidence of life? Now, imaging some even took place to hit Mars hard enough to eject rock. It would have to be thousands of degrees. No evidence of life could really survive that. Then it crashes on earth with yet another firestorm of friction. It sits on earth for so many thousands (millions?) of years, where there's life out the wazoo, and who is to say it wasn't contaminated?

Space is great, but if people want to explore it (like me) then we should pay for it and do our own thing. With NASA, I don't know what the hell we got. Even my brother who has met NASA and JPL people says they're fucking idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
              $2.6 Billion. And that's not counting the supporting programs.

Pete (thinks nobody is a cost-cutter who approves this kind of spending)
              It's not like people needed that $2.6B to feed their families or anything important like that. If we can't even cut the most frivolous garbage like this, what hope is there for any cuts?

Steve (knows this motha is doomed)
              "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Tnnisace73 View Post
                First pics from probe out:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3156[/ATTACH]
                (via George Tekei's FB page)
                You made me laugh! I'm simple that way. Those other guys are too damn serious.
                At the precipice, we change!
                The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

The DMCA takedown process needs to be changed. No more "automated" notices. Given that you have to "prove" that you own the material in question when challenged, you never have to "prove" that you own it when you send the takedown notice.

NASA's Mars Rover Crashed Into a DMCA Takedown

NASA’s livestream coverage of the Curiosity rover’s landing on Mars was was practically as flawless as the landing itself, a refreshing alternative to all that troubled Olympics coverage. The broadcast – full of suspense, lucky peanut-eating, and ecstatic congratulations – was slow and hard to reach at times, but NASA servers never failed. Along with burnishing its online publicity credentials, NASA had prepared for a global audience of millions.

But NASA couldn’t prepare for everything. An hour or so after Curiosity’s 1.31 a.m. EST landing in Gale Crater, I noticed that the space agency’s main YouTube channel had posted a 13-minute excerpt of the stream. Its title was in an uncharacteristic but completely justified all caps: “NASA LANDS CAR-SIZE ROVER BESIDE MARTIAN MOUNTAIN.”

When I returned to the page ten minutes later, I saw this:

Stop the band. The video was gone, replaced with an alien message: “This video contains content from Scripps Local News, who has blocked it on copyright grounds. Sorry about that.” That is to say, a NASA-made public domain video posted on NASA’s official YouTube channel, documenting the landing of a $2.5 billion Mars rover mission paid for with public taxpayer money, was blocked by YouTube because of a copyright claim by a private news service.
                  I believe you. Wholly.
                  This was to be a Haiku,
                  but I couldn't think of anything finish up with.
                  Refrigerator.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
                    It's not like people needed that $2.6B to feed their families or anything important like that. If we can't even cut the most frivolous garbage like this, what hope is there for any cuts?

Steve (knows this motha is doomed)
                    Yep, nothing good has ever come out of the money we have spent on NASA....

Lloyd (snorts, and wonders if Steve thinks dinosaur bones were put there by god to confuse us)
                    For this speaks justice to me: Men are not equal. ~Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by lifer77 View Post
                      Yep, nothing good has ever come out of the money we have spent on NASA....

Lloyd (snorts, and wonders if Steve thinks dinosaur bones were put there by god to confuse us)
                      It's not that nothing good may come from it. It's that the money would be far better allocated spent by individuals for the goods and services those individuals desire. More comes from consumer demand than the few accidental successes central planning has dropped in its lap every now and again.

Steve (knows a slot machine pays off every once in a while, but the house never loses money)
                      "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

LOL, everyone things NASA invented the CPU and Teflon.

Besides, the question should not be whether something good has come from NASA. The questions should be:

1. Has umpteen hundreds of billions of dollars worth of good come out of NASA?

and much more importantly:

2. Is the best way to pay for it to take money away from Americans, and to borrow the rest of it from children who haven't even been born yet?

Comment

Kids these days...
                          01000010 01100001 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100001 01101000 01101110 01100001 00100000 01110111 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01101110 01101001 01101110 01101110 01111001 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101110 01100111

Comment

I think Pete calls NASA the "Money Cannon" where it "Shoots Money Into Space!"
                            I believe you. Wholly.
                            This was to be a Haiku,
                            but I couldn't think of anything finish up with.
                            Refrigerator.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
                              It's not that nothing good may come from it. It's that the money would be far better allocated spent by individuals for the goods and services those individuals desire. More comes from consumer demand than the few accidental successes central planning has dropped in its lap every now and again.

Steve (knows a slot machine pays off every once in a while, but the house never loses money)
                              I think that over time, private industry that was part of the "space race" has introduced numerous products that have improved our lives, economy, and provided new tax revenue to the government. Private industry alone would have done nothing as there would have been no profit motive. For me this is one of the least questionable areas of government spending.
                              For this speaks justice to me: Men are not equal. ~Nietzsche

Comment

I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information