No announcement yet.

$1 Trillion Trove of Rare Minerals Revealed Under Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And, I'm sure the Afghanis will remember what we did for them and awarding the mineral rights to China.
    At the precipice, we change!
    The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

The militants would have to be subdued first no matter what. Let the Chinese send their people to die for it.
      I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

Great, another cash crop economy waiting to happen.

(forgets the actual name for an economy based on a single natural resource, such as oil)
        Originally posted by Jared
        When you create any system, there will always be people who manipulate and/or abuse it. If the system provides a service that is useful, eliminating the service as a reaction to the abusers is counter-productive.

Comment

Banana Republic fits, in the geopolitical definition:

Pete (tries to help)

Comment

Originally posted by Plezercruz View Post
            Banana Republic fits, in the geopolitical definition:

Pete (tries to help)
            Yeah, banana republic was one of the terms I thought of, but I was looking for a term more from the study of political economics. The term "rentier state" (referenced in the Wikipedia article) is even closer, but not exactly what I had in mind.

(is glad you understood, though)
            Originally posted by Jared
            When you create any system, there will always be people who manipulate and/or abuse it. If the system provides a service that is useful, eliminating the service as a reaction to the abusers is counter-productive.

Comment

Can we call it a Chavez?

Pete (snorts)

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
                And, I'm sure the Afghanis will remember what we did for them and awarding the mineral rights to China.
                What did we do for them?
                "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Well, we helped them get rid of the Russians. Then, when that didn't work out as planned (we really helped the Taliban), we gave our blood and treasure to help them fight the Taliban. We gave their children, including girls, a chance to go to school. We tried to help them establish a democracy.

Our success may have been limited, but we certainly tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
                    Well, we helped them get rid of the Russians. Then, when that didn't work out as planned (we really helped the Taliban), we gave our blood and treasure to help them fight the Taliban. We gave their children, including girls, a chance to go to school. We tried to help them establish a democracy.

Our success may have been limited, but we certainly tried.
                    Limited success? What success? 50,000 Afghan casualties, a weak puppet government, an American occupation with over 2000 American casualties for nothing, and more people hating us with the inevitable blowback to follow than ever. I call that failure, not success.

Brought them Democracy? On The Economist Democracy Index Afghanistan is ranked 180 of 182 and an Authoritarian regime. The only countries that are worse are Somalia and N. Korea. On the Transparency International corruption scale they are ranked the worst in S Asia.

Helped them get rid of the Russians? How, by putting the Taliban in power?

With friends like America, who needs enemies?

Afghanistan is one of the best examples of why America's foreign policy is an epic failure making us less, not more, safe not to mention an EPIC MONEY PIT. America has done such a great job of fucking up the Middle East you almost have to wonder if it's not intentional, but that would be giving gov way too much credit. You can't give people self determination, they must want it and take it.

I think once people understand our real purpose there, protecting the petrodollar because it's the only thing propping up our MASSIVE warfare/welfare state, the picture gets much clearer, but as history has taught us that won't last. We will eventually stretch ourselves too thin and on an historical timescale, we may go down as a flash in the pan. With our short life spans and limited vision living in that flash, historically people can't see beyond that so they repeat the same mistakes over and over and we don't seem to be any exception.

A world wide shitstorm is coming. I'm just glad I don't have any children who will be subjected to it.

America, PLEASE STOP TRYING TO HELP!
                    "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Steve, in a reluctant 3 sentences, I said pretty much the same thing you said in multi-paragraphs. My point is that we tried to help them. Yes, there was success. The Taliban was in complete control and their control was hurtful for the population. We gave them the opportunity to be free if they were willing to do the work necessary to remain that way. Greed and corruption said no.

The question you have to ask is "What would have happened if we hadn't intervened?"

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information