Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$175 premium for a young, healthy student? Thanks, Obamacare!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

same coverage?
    They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
    -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Read the article. The cheapest coverage he could get on eHealthinsurance.com is now over $190.
      I'm for defending all rights for everyone.

Comment

I did read the article -- it implies that the $47 plan didn't include coverage for hospitalizations or cancer treatment... so this claim is hard for me to differentiate from the argument that he now has to pay $175 for health insurance when previously he could have simply been uninsured.

they're comparing apples to carpet lint.
        They speak in bulletpointese leftist nutjob drivel. It doesn't matter. Nothing is as great a motivator as the chance to truly be free.
        -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
          I did read the article -- it implies that the $47 plan didn't include coverage for hospitalizations or cancer treatment... so this claim is hard for me to differentiate from the argument that he now has to pay $175 for health insurance when previously he could have simply been uninsured.

They compared the cheapest $47 plan prior to Obamacare to the now cheapest $190 plan. That's apples to apples.

And are you going to suggest that having to pay $175 or more for more coverage that the person may not need or want is desirable?

Have you seen this? Part of the whole Obamacare scheme is to try to force young and healthy people to pay a lot more. The entire law makes "insurance" into something that's not really insurance. Low risk people don't pay very much to cover themselves with actual insurance.

Comment

It doesn't imply that at all. And you didn't click the link:

http://www.cato.org/blog/obamacare-q...-success-story

The reason his cost skyrocketed is his deductible shrank from over $30,000 to under $6500, which is the cap under Obamacare for a qualifying program. The law is effectively forcing him to buy more insurance because it considers a $30000 deductible to be inadequate insurance for him.

Pete (notes that since this law is essentially a massive wealth transfer from the young to the old, that is to be expected)

Comment

my point is that as its written, it looks like he's paying alot more for the same thing. He isn't, he's paying alot more for more. Now you can argue that he's being forced to buy something he doesn't need or want, and I have no disagreement with that argument, but it isn't direct taxation -- there is value gained for the increased spending on his part (just maybe not value he wants or needs)
              -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Cutting to the chase, this law is designed to manufacture money in an insurance scheme which will not return that money to the claimants. For the average person, especially the young ones, it's like insuring your car for physical damage at a price that's multiples what you would pay on the open market, all the while increasing your deductible to a point which nears, or exceeds the value of the vehicle in the first place.

Mark my words, that money will find it's way into a plethora of "agenda" projects.
                At the precipice, we change!
                The problem with Capitalism is that humans run it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
                  Cutting to the chase, this law is designed to manufacture money in an insurance scheme which will not return that money to the claimants. For the average person, especially the young ones, it's like insuring your car for physical damage at a price that's multiples what you would pay on the open market, all the while increasing your deductible to a point which nears, or exceeds the value of the vehicle in the first place.

Mark my words, that money will find it's way into a plethora of "agenda" projects.
                  It's simpler than that. It's a classic pyramid scheme where many must be brought into the bottom to support those at the top. And we all know the inevitable outcome of any pyramid scheme.

Steve (thinks the end will be spectacular)
                  "Democracy is a form of worship. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Turns out the kid hadn't actually bought insurance yet and according to the insurance companies, the cheapest one he could have got was $225. Also the kid was a volunteer for Obama.

http://reason.com/archives/2013/10/0...nderson-father
                    DEEZ NUTS FOR PRESIDENT!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                      Turns out the kid hadn't actually bought insurance yet and according to the insurance companies, the cheapest one he could have got was $225. Also the kid was a volunteer for Obama.

http://reason.com/archives/2013/10/0...nderson-father
                      And even his lies were expensive.

Comment

my point is that as its written, it looks like he's paying a lot more for the same thing. He isn't, he's paying a lot more for more. Now you can argue that he's being forced to buy something he doesn't need or want, and I have no disagreement with that argument, but it isn't direct taxation -- there is value gained for the increased spending on his part (just maybe not value he wants or needs)
                        Actually, it is direct taxation. That's exactly what the supreme court ruled, agreeing with the President's argument.

Pete (disagrees, and fixed both your "alots," which hurt his soul)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Raceboy View Post
                          It's simpler than that. It's a classic pyramid scheme where many must be brought into the bottom to support those at the top. And we all know the inevitable outcome of any pyramid scheme.

Steve (thinks the end will be spectacular)
                          This is more of a direct wealth transfer from young people to old people. I suspect that it was specifically designed to help deflect the problem of aging baby boomers.

Pete (thinks it really sucks to be a young person in America, and wonders if they'll ever wise up and start leaving the country)

Comment

you piss and moan about peoples grammar alot.
                            -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

you piss and moan about peoples grammar a lot.

-Jon (fixes one of the few grammar peeves he can't tolerate)

Comment

you missed one!
                                -Mr. Raceboy

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information